Is it beyond help??--Dwarf Schefflera

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by just4jami, Jan 2, 2007.

1. just4jami

just4jami Member

Hi Everyone. My boyfriend had a 15 yr old dwarf schefflera. (NOTICE THE WORD >>HAD) I took it outside before summer started and just now brought it back in. It has been cold out but it only frosted once. It also was dried out. Needless to say we both forgot it was out there. It was his mothers and I feel horrible and would like to try to revive it. The soil was dried out, but the leaves were still on there (dried up and falling off, but on there) I clipped the leaves off but Im not sure if I should try cutting some of the branches too?!? If you think I should please give me tips how. I've never done this before. Also, should I feed and water often?? I am definatley not a gardner!! -- Thanks so much, Jami

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Keep moist, warm and well lit. Watch for sprouts. If it turns all dead-looking, doesn't sprout after some weeks it's probably a goner. Might come back from near the base, with existing branches dyng back a bit, the dead parts could certainly be cut away after it becomes clear what is still good and what isn't.

3. just4jami

just4jami Member

Also, How much sun does this need?... I know he loved this tree, and I feel terrible about it dying. I cried !!! So anything anyone can tell me would be nice :) Ill post a pic of it tomorrow. THANKS AGAIN GUYS AND LADIES!!!

4. just4jami

just4jami Member

Is there a certain way I need to cut it... at an angle?? Thanks very much Ron. It's in a sun room, I didnt know it was so old, otherwise I wouldnt have messed with it. :(

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If it separates later into a still-live, sprouting lower portion and a frosted, dead and rotting upper you will probably be able to just snap the bad parts off. Otherwise, just clip across horizontally where the two sections (live and dead) meet.

6. just4jami

just4jami Member

It is rotting on the ends only (if "rotting" pertains to moisture and little discoloring) Under that it is still strong-- I sure hope it makes it!!!