Bloodgood Japanese Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by melceramics, Jul 14, 2008.

1. melceramics

melceramics Member

Well here goes... I received a Bloodgood Maple for Christmas. It took this dummy weeks to figure out where to plant it.. Not thinking... Sun is different in Winter than it is in Summer.. I live in Texas 70 miles SW of Houston... The Sun is very hot.. Been working a lot this year and watered the tree every week as told... Well the Hot Sun scarched all the leaves on my tree... WILL MY TREE DIE????? As usual I now have my umberella from my table over the tree... like closing the gate after the horse got out.
    I really need help... My daughter saved and saved to purchase this tree for me and now I am so worried about it... ANYONE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME AND LET ME KNOW IF MY TREE IS GOING TO DIE???
    Thanking all in Advance
    Melinda

2. Renata Magda

Renata Magda Member

Get another taller or fast growng tree and plant it inbetween your beloved Bloodgood and the sun at the angle its at its hottest. Maybe this would give your tree a little relief and the guests can have the umbrella back!

I've a 2 year old aureum that is scorching in Norway so I strategically placed a purpureum between it and the sun. It's also a fab contrasting color (dark purple against yellow)

I can't tell the results til next year!

Hilsen

Renata

3. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Revival of your tree really depends on how much damage was done, which is impossible for us to know here on-line.

To determine damage, scratch the bark lightly with your fingernail on some of the small upper branches. Is there a green layer beneath the bark, or is it dry and brown? If green, then the tree is still alive. If brown, then those branches are probably dead. Continue testing some more branches, working your way down from top to the trunk until you find green. This will help you determine the extent of the damage. You will want to prune out any dead branches.

If the tree does have a lot of living bark and branches, then happy day! It should sprout new leaves shortly, as long as it gets adequate water and sun protection. Trees have an extra set of "emergency" leaf buds waiting to sprout should some damage occur to them during the growing season. Be aware that if they do sprout out and form new leaves, this is the last set the tree has to offer. If you let the new set get scorched and ruined, it will likely be the death of the tree.

Good luck,

4. melceramics

melceramics Member

Thanks for the advice... I did scratch the bark lightly and there is a green layer beneath the bark but it has only been scarched for about 4 days now... I will watch it very close from now on...
    Thanks Melinda