Identification: strange fungus/mold?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by forester64, Jul 19, 2006.

1. forester64

forester64 Member

This fungus appeared overnight in the grass near our back porch. It seems to have grown on the grass as there does not appear to be any other substrate. The appearance is like sawdust but it has the consistency of marshmallow cream. I disturbed one corner of it and it immediately started to turn brown and shrink a bit. Does anyone know what this is and/or why it grows in odd places. It is under a large white pine but nothing appears to have fallen from the tree. Thanks, Forester

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Slime mold?

3. forester64

forester64 Member

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/TOMS_FUNGI/june99.html

I just found this link. My first thought upon finding this slime mold this morning was 'Oh no, one of the dogs puked". I guess I am not alone because it appears this stuff is Fuligo septica (otherwise known as the dog vomit slime mold.)

4. brown269

brown269 Member

I have a similar fungus growing in one of my mulch beds. I scraped it up last night but it grew back in about seven hours. Were you able to identify it? What is it? How can it be treated?

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

definately agree it's the 'dog vomit slime mould'........it's going to keep growing for a bit and believe or not? is extremely benificial (if unatractive!)

6. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

Fuligo candida

7. miss_myxomycete

miss_myxomycete Active Member 10 Years

Hi Nico,

Just wondering why you think it's F.candida, which has white or almost white aethalia/plasmodium? F.septica has creamy coloured aethalia like in the photo above...