Arbutus: Arbutus Wood

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Eric La Fountaine, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Has anyone tried carving with arbutus wood? I found this little kitchen utensil made from arbutus and was thinking of trying a little carving.

Attached Files:

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

I've not carved it, but I have handled it as firewood and would advise you to find and work green wood as the dried wood gets iron hard.
    Ralph

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's just what I thought. I have a nice fresh piece from a storm damaged tree.

4. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

My husband hand carves spoons, and he has made them from madrone in the past (bought a chunk from his favorite woodstore). He said it was hard, but not that much different from good quality maple- his favorite. He usually finishes his carvings with a food grade mineral oil, and the madrone seemed not to absorb much oil in that process.

5. BlueRabbit

BlueRabbit Member

Re: Carving Arbutus Wood

Have a look at this website featuring Vancouver carver Frederick Kay. Almost all of his sculptures are done in arbutus wood. Beautiful work!! Might inspire you to move on to bigger and better things when you get that spoon carved.

http://mypage.direct.ca/f/fkay/