Valencia orange help

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Half2fish, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Half2fish

Half2fish Member

Hi, I'm new here and to fruit tree growing. I have planted a Valencia orange tree that appears to be growing quite well, lots of new growth. My question is after the blooms come and go all my eraser sized little oranges that develope last a week or two the just fall off, is this normal for a young tree or is it the time of year.....any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks Cecil.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Hi, Cecil. I'm new to citrus too. From what I've read the condition you described is normal and is known as postbloom fruit drop. It is a self-thinning mechanism that adjusts the number of fruit to the tree's bearing potential. Fruitlets that are defective are also shed at this time. You can also expect another period of fruit drop around May or June. Apparently only a very small percentage (~2%) of citrus blooms set fruit and go on to mature.

3. Half2fish

Half2fish Member

Hi Junglekeeper, Thank you for that bit of information, hopefully eventually some of the small oranges will develope. When my wife bought the tree she said she saw others with more developed oranges on them even though they were young trees. Maybe by next year.....Thanks again, Cecil.