1. DavidBabich

DavidBabich Member

We would like to plant an Arbutus tree on our lot on the Sea to Sky Hi-way near Porteau Cove.

Does the UBC Botanical Garden ever offer Arbutus saplings for sale?

D

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The Plant Centre at the Shop in the Garden did sell Arbutus seedlings the last two years. I am not sure they will have them this Spring. I think there were surplus seedlings left after Arbutus were germinated for the Garry Oak Meadow and Woodland. Might be best to give them a call in early Spring.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, I suppose you could call now. Likely Hugh (who sources native plants) will return your call when he is next in, but that may not be until the new year.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Be sure you have the right site conditions, Arbutus can be quite fussy. Even if the tree grows away after planting fungus problems can turn it ugly in many areas these days.

5. tlpenner

tlpenner Active Member

Just for reference, here is the arbutus I transplanted from a 1 gallon sapling from UBC around 12 years ago. The garage (in Vancovuer) is about 10' high, so you can see the tree is well past 20', putting on an average growth of 2' per year.

It did so well that the vegetable garden is suffering from the shade it produces ; )

Attached Files:

6. Ron B

Note the lack of other trees in close proximity and the abundance of surfaces providing reflected light and heat.

7. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

There are plenty of wild Arbutus trees growing near Porteau Cove; so a planting there should be successful if the tree gets enough light.

8. Ron B

If the exact planting spot is right. Near is not the same as right where the tree is going to be planted. Where I live deep piles of suitable sandy soil on top of horizontal layers of unsuitable clay-like soil are common, due to the lingering effects of glaciation.