Is Black bamboo a tree?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by rotty, Nov 23, 2010.

1. rotty

rotty Member

Can someone help me, I need to know if my black bamboo, the one that grows to about 25 feet, is considered a tree?
    tnx..Rotty

2. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

hello

botanically it is a herb - as it does not produce wood like an oak or a maple does. it is also classified as a monocot (grass grouping evolutionarily)

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Larger bamboos fit the technical definition of a tree: "A tree may be defined as a woody perennial plant which can attain a stature of 6m or more on a single stem" (A F Mitchell, Field Guide to the Trees of Britain and Northern Europe).

In practice though, bamboos tend not to be called trees.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I've always thought of bamboos as massive grasses....

5. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

If your question concerns a bylaw regarding tree planting or removal I think you would have a solid case for claiming that it is not a tree.

6. Michael F

Local authorities might differ over that if there are problems that relate to height, shade, or root access of the bamboo!

7. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Is there a good definition for "woody" ?

Would it mean firm, or wood in the sense of having xylem, etc.?

8. Michael F

Haven't looked up, but I'd define 'woody' as lignified cellulose plant stems, and that would include bamboo. Non-woody plant stems are not lignified.

Harvested bamboo is classed as a wood product - do a google search for "bamboo wood" and you'll get lots of hits on its use for floors, etc.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Often referred to as woody grasses. Included in The Hillier Manual of Trees & Shrubs. But there is never a single permanent stem around which all the rest of the crown is arranged. Continuation of the specimen is based upon buds produced by the creeping rootstock. And individual culms grow to a predetermined ultimate height their first summer and then stop, never to grow taller again. So really these are herbaceous plants that have hardened their stems, making them able to persist through winter. In fact, some grasses considered bamboos are not even woody.