lichen on dogwood tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by westerngal, Nov 15, 2010.

1. westerngal

westerngal Member

I have a dogwood tree that is approximately 35' high, and probably about 50-55 years old. Over the last 10 years or so, it has acquired quite a thick grey green lichen growth. Is this harmful to the tree? Or is it caused by poor soil? The tree seems very healthy otherwise, full of bloom and leaves in spring. I rarely water that area in the summer. It does have a perrenial garden bed around the base approx 15' x 30'. Thanks for any info

2. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

The lichen does not harm the tree. It adds to its character, don't you think?

3. westerngal

westerngal Member

Glad to hear that it does not harm the tree......I am not so sure about the character tho...:) I find it gives it a rather decaying look! I am waiting for the witches beard to grow!

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Lichen is two plants in one: a fungus and a photosynthetic partner. Symbiosis! Lichens can live a long time, withstand radiation and desiccation, and are eaten by many animals (including humans). As Debby said, lichen sits upon your tree in an epiphytic fashion. Will do no harm.

If you can and desire so to do, post a photo of the lichen: our fungus mavens could ID it for you.

5. westerngal

westerngal Member

Thank you for your response. I have enclosed a picture of the lichen and also one of the tree which is about 35-40' tall.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  6. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Possibly a Parmelia species.

cheers
    -frog

7. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Lichen on your tree trunk? One of the minor, but to me important, blessings of living on the West Coast. One would pay a fortune for the shades, shapes & textures shown in your photo if we were foolish enough to try & buy them. We get 'em for free & can amble out in our grubbies with a cup of coffee to enjoy them.

gb.

8. JadeC

JadeC Active Member 10 Years

Agree :)