British Columbia: Where to buy stinging nettle plant in Vancouver, B.C?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by JoyC, Sep 11, 2010.

1. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

Joy,
    For security reasons you should never post your email on this or other websites. I believe there is a private message option you can use to exchange such information safely.

2. JoyC

JoyC Member

Thank you,
    I didn't know that. There are some
    bad situations around. I've been
    amazed at how wonderful people
    are, but you are right, and
    I just did find that option, but
    not sure I can find it again,
    not being good with computers.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Welcome JoyC,

The Private Message function is accessed at the top right of the page in the welcome box. You can also click other members' names to get a drop down box that allows you to send a message. I think you can still edit your posts if you want to remove the email address. You can send me or any of the other moderators a message if you need help.

4. JoyC

JoyC Member

Oooh, I truly have trouble
    with computers, and here I am wanting to
    try an online business. Perhaps gutsy
    but stupid. I will try, and thanks so much.

5. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Huh! Dock (Rumex sp). I spent much of my time as a boy wandering the woods in UK & then working on farms as a student. This gave me extensive experience of nettles. Docks don't work for me. Tried rubbing them, tried getting them mushy & green & rubbing them on. Waste of time IMO. Now, spitting on the area works not bad. Best is anti-histamine applied topically &/or After Bite. If you have no After Bite (principal active ingredient is ammonia), just use 1 part Sudsy Ammonia plus 2 parts water dabbed repeatedly on the sting with some tissue. The ammonia neutralizes the acid components of the venom. Needs to be applied ASAP after the sting. Does not reverse the reaction after the inflammation occurs. Sudsy Ammonia works great on Wasp/Yellowjacket/Hornet/Ant sings bites too, if you are too cheap or lazy to shop for After Bite, like me.

BTW I am not a doctor. Just a bushwhacker & potterer in corners. Sorry if I appear didactic, just having fun & enjoying the discussion!

gb.

6. JoyC

JoyC Member

Thanks for input. I've studied that spit
    is 'ours', specific to us, with antibiotics in it. And that is
    really a good thing to know, a little bottle on a hike too.
    What you do is the kind of 'doctor' I like, not all those
    drugs that who knows what they all do.
    Sounds like a quiet life, and that's also the way
    I like it, small, quiet.
    I'm looking forward to nettles, though because medically,
    and maybe partly even the 'sting' part just gets rid
    of big problems. Online has '101 uses for Nettles' if
    you ever want to check this out.

7. Beekeeper

Beekeeper Active Member

At the south end of 14th in Bby at the rear of BARAGA gdns, in spring you can get all you want. The 100 bus is quite close.

8. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Grow dock...Why not grow sorrel? The French love it. The English don't. That way you can have salad & salve at the same time. I don't think Dock works. Spitting on the sting does, for me.

gb

9. sue1

sue1 Active Member 10 Years

Hi. I have stinging nettles on my property, but in a hard to reach location, in a sheltered, shady area. They never self-seed anywhere else but this location. They get quite tall - up to 2ft or more. I've tried digging some up and growing in containers but they never make it. I've given up now. Also, if you compost, then adding stinging nettles to it is supposed to be very good.

10. Pokerchick

Pokerchick New Member

Hi Nancy
    My mother in law in Poland grows the best tomatoes!!! She said to take a slice of bread bunch of nettle (with gloves) and place it under the root when I plant my tomatoes in the garden bed from the pots. We just moved from Ontario to Langley near 16 ave and 244 st. if you have some nettle which needs clearing I would love
    To try for the tomato plants.
    Lynne