Identification: What kind of plant am I?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kitten, Dec 12, 2006.

1. kitten

kitten Member

Hello. I am very new to raising plants. I have tried many times and failed for one reason or another. In the past the only thing I didn't kill was an aloe vera plant, which I wound up giving to a friend. None the less my grandmother passed back in July and I brought home two potters from her funeral. Out of those two potters came 12 plants. My younger sister took three of them. Neither her or I were expecting there to be that many plants in the two little potters. All of the plants are doing well (to my suprise). I recently had to pot up or seperate all of them. After repotting them I became cerious as to what kind of plants they were. After many hours of research, I have identified all but one. I have never seen it bloom. It seems to like a lot of light but not direct light, and alot of water. Its soil dries within 3-4 days. I don't know if that is just because it is young or if that is just the species. I would really like to know what kind of plant this is.

Attached Files:

2. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

Try Ardisia crenata or Ardisia japonica, Joe

3. kitten

kitten Member

Thank you Joe. I am not sure if you are correct or not. The leaves in the Ardisia family look very close if not identical but this plant has never had berries or flowers, so I can't tell.

4. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

Joe is right, but I would go furthger and say Ardisia crenata (unless somone can explain to me how A. crispa may differ from it). That combination of rolled-under and crenate leaf margins is unique to this group of ardisias. A. japonica, in contrast, has fine, sharp teeth.

5. Rima

Rima Active Member

They look a lot like Coffee arabica to me.

6. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

Coffea, like all members of family Rubiaceae, has opposite leaves so you will see a PAIR of leaves at a similar stage of expansion. And its leaves are about 4 in long and not toothed.

7. kitten

kitten Member

ok after looking some more with all of you help, I have determined that it is the ardisia crenata aka coralberry. this dose how ever leade me to another question that I cant seem to find an answer for. Is this plant poisnious? If the plant itself is not poisnious are the flowers or berries that it produces? I have 3 children one and am in my 3rd month for my fourth. At this point in time my youngest is 4. None of my children mess with my plants, but I also have a cat. She dose not mess them either but I would like to know just in case. Well thank you all for your help so far this has been great.