Watering new plants (if ever they are planted).

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Sandy, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Sandy

Sandy Member

I had expected to retire and spend time learning to garden properly. Unfortunately, arthritis has effectively curtailed kneeling, bending over or standing for long periods of time. I have contracted with a local well known nursery for the following work...planting of 10 (5-6 ft) emerald green arborvitae (with a soaker hose in ground), one Forest Pansy Am. Redbud, one Kwanza Cherry, one PG hydrangea, one cutleaf Japanese red maple, a raised 18" bed (2.5' x 12'), removal of several sections of sunken concrete sidewalk and installation of stepping stones from good sidewalk around to new back sidewalk (about 20 ft.). This includes all new top soil, mulch and disposal of unwanted sod and/or concrete. All stock is b&b. I am paying $3200 for this work. I paid a down payment back on April 14 and I am still waiting for the work to commence. Is this length of time (before work is performed) normal in a busy nursery (it's been over 7 weeks now)? Should I be concerned? I was hoping that this work would be done before the heat of summer was upon us. It was in the 90's here in Western PA for several days this past week. What watering concerns should I have with any of these plants? Will I need to water daily (or more) until winter? Thank you for any help.

2. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Sandy, did you not discuss a time frame with the nursery you engaged for the work ?

3. Sandy

Sandy Member

In hind site, I realize that I made an assumption that work would commence in a week or so. This nursery is very popular, very busy and has a good reputation. I accept that perhaps they might not get to my work for several weeks but two months? I called after two weeks (the first of May) and asked when I could expect them. I was told that they were waiting for their summer hires to finish their college term before scheduling new work. They were just getting to work they had contracted at the end of the year. They had a 2-3 week waiting list of people that wanted estimates for work. When I called them again in mid-May I was told that I was on the schedule for the first week of June. I am going to call them this afternoon. It is my fault for not setting a time frame or even inquiring. I assumed that since my first contact with them was in mid-March, I would be near the head of the line. I was wrong. By the time we ironed out all the details, it was mid-April before a contract had been signed. I am concerned about planting when it has been so hot. How will that effect watering needs? Thank you for your help.

4. Sandy

Sandy Member

I just talked to someone at the nursery and I am not on the schedule yet. It won't be too long. The owner hates tell someone a particular day because if something takes longer than expected or it rains again then it delays everything. He said that my job should be complete in one day. I wish he'd find one day and just get it done. It has been very wet here in Western PA this spring. We had one week where it rained every single day. He will call a day or two before he is going to come. I just hope that I will be home.

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

As time marches on, your original query about watering the plants becomes more and more relevant. Especially if they are working in a hurry, you may need to watch and see that the original work is done right.

The soil needs to be wet all the way down, which is not always the case in spring even if it has been wet. If it is kind of dry once they dig, they need to fill the hole with water and let it drain out a couple of times before planting, and they should leave you with a soil surface that will catch water, not run it off down the hill. You will need to water these plants, very thoroughly once every few days, to get them through summer. You might even get a few shade umbrellas to protect them if they are in full sun.

If you don't feel up to checking their work and watering that much, you could always ask them to wait till fall. With their busy calendar, they might not mind!

(By the way, I don't know about water supplies around your area but I use mostly collected rainwater and grey water for watering so don't feel guilty nor incur costs for the water use...)

6. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Just a thought: If your new plants tend to wilt badly during the hot days, but perk up overnite, it is usually that the roots have been damaged during transplant and there are fewer of them to support the transpiration of water that takes place during the day. When they have reestablished themselves, you will notice less and less wilting until the plant finally is off and running as you imagined it would when you brought it home. Often, if the plant was pot bound, some of the root tangle will purposely be stripped before it is planted, to let new roots spread as they would like.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

New thread related to this topic (but with different queries) here

8. Sandy

Sandy Member

Thank you all for your replies....and thank you for forwarding this thread to the new one.
    I couldn't find anything like this in the US. I am grateful to my northern neighbors for this great forum.

Sandy
    Pittsburgh, PA