Planting a bed around a dwarf cherry tree

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Jacky, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Jacky

Jacky Member

Hi all,

To start, I'm a beginning gardener, so please forgive silly questions as I learn. I'd like to plant a bed around the base of a dwarf cherry tree - Kwanzan on a gisella root stock, which grows in a vase shape. We just got it today, currently it's about 7-8 feet, and should only get to 10-14 feet. The tree will be planted in the lawn, very close to a huge cedar which sucks up water.

I'd like to plant a bed around this tree as there is little grass in that location now, and I'm pretty sure there will be none by the time the tree grows a bit. So, thought I'd amend the soil, cut some of the cedar back a little, and build a shady bed.

So, my questions are - will this be ok for the cherry tree? Also, what could I plant in this bed? Is it dry shade? I was kind of thinking of hostas, ferns, astilbes - perhaps a daylily while the tree is still young. I'm in the process of trying to make a naturalised/cottage garden in beds nearby. Oh, and there is a 50+ foot black walnut lurking nearby - about 20' from where the cherry will be going. Hope the cherry will survive the juglens!! Help - should I do something else with this space?

Many thanks,

Jacky

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

That's a rather challenging growing environment; yes, I imagine it is dry shade, but it is also probably highly acidic and nutrient poor. I'm not sure I'd invest much in plants for that area. Try some you don't care about first - maybe a friend has a vigorous hosta you can get free divisions of or something - and if you really do want to plant the cherry tree there, see how it does before planting a whole bunch more.

I speak from long and expensive experience of trying to grow stuff under what I think is a huge Chamaecyparis. Cedar is probably worse, as the mulch that falls from it won't break down as fast. And any soil amendments you put in will quickly be invaded by tree roots, especially if you water there. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it - I'm still trying! - just that it's an uphill battle. You can gauge how much uphill with a simple question: are there any weeds where there is so little grass? If not, don't count on many plants.

Container growing can work better than the ground in such areas.

3. Jacky

Jacky Member

There are weeds there - but no grass. We just cut back some of the lower limbs of the cedar a bit to let a bit more light/air into the whole area. I guess it might be pretty acidic?

Would it help to put some plastic around the bed we stick the cherry into? Just around the sides and not the bottom. We could put it in at just below ground level - would it keep out the cedar, force the cherry roots down, and give some root space to the perennials around the cherry? We did this for the black bamboo we put in - its a pretty vigorous runner!

I'll see if I can get a picture of the area tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jacky

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

It's really not a good idea for the cherry's sake, and I wouldn't do it to the others either, considering the existing conditions. The cherry's roots will be oxygen deprived, as well as water deprived - the water being sideswiped by the higher plants, and the new plants would keep running into the cherry's roots as they try to find better conditions to grow in.

5. oscar

oscar Active Member

Post a picture of the area :) Forget the plastic idea, we'll work with what you got and i'm sure we will be able to do something interesting with the area ;)

Hostas might be ok, they are quite drought resistant once established, the best francis williams i ever saw was growing between a leylandii hedge and a silver birch...forget the astilbe though it will be dead in hours (maybe a few days)

spend plenty on the soil improving, then plant all the plants before the cedar realises theres fresh grub to be had :)

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Choose another spot. The grass has thinned out there because it is close to the cedar. It will be too dry and rooty for a new planting to be a likely success. Damaging the roots of the cedar with digging and planting operations won't help the tree, either--if you are even able to penetrate the tough fibrous mat of cedar roots that may be present in that spot. Definitely do not cut, scrape or gouge large roots trying to dig there.

Do not amend planting areas except where short term plants with small root systems like annuals and vegetables are being planted. Long term plants like most ornamentals will be growing there long after the amendments have decomposed and disappeared. Choose plants for a given location that will grow in the existing soil or dump suitable soil on top and plant in that--where there is not a tree root system or trunk that will be buried in the process. Do loosen soil before planting to provide aeration for new roots. Do loosen soil between plants after planting to alleviate compaction from feet--or stand on plywood when planting. Do mulch after planting to protect soil and roots from sun.

7. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

8. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

What is the exposure for your Tree? If you have mostly sun your options are almost limitless...I would install an irrigation system before you go crazy with planting...the savings of both time, water and leisure to pursue hands on gardening make this install a requirement...or perhaps leave a soakerhose snaked throughout the driest zones.