Insects on Lemon Trees and Orange Trees (Grown indoor in BC)

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by aieros, Dec 30, 2008.

1. aieros

aieros Member

Hi,
    I have several lemon and orange trees that I have kept alive
    over the past several years. These plants were grown in BC, indoors
    and put outdoors during the hot period of the summer.
    Within the last year all the plants have been re-potted.
    The smaller orange trees are naval orange and are about 3 years
    old. The larger lemon trees are about 6-8 years old and about 4' tall.

However the all trees appear to be invaded by very very small insects. (They are very hard too see, even by the eye) They appear "inside" a cacoon or spiderweb
    that wraps around the leaves. At first I thought it was just the dust because
    this is an old house, however by observing closly there are very very small
    "moving" white insects that almost seem like catapillers. Over the past couple of
    months (during the winter season now) the problem has become worse where its
    spread to all the plants and now the leaves are starting to "whither" within
    the spiderwebs/cacoons. These insects' web almost looks identical to what
    you would see with a tent catapiller infestation. Except these guys are much,
    much smaller and very very hard to see. (I have 20-17 Vision)
    In either case though I have tried to use an insecticide that I had around
    the house. (Called Sevin XLR or Sevin dust I am not sure, it's a powder.) In
    either case though it doesn't appear to have any effect on the insects, besides making a mess around the floor and making the webs really stand out.
    I would really, really appreciate any help that any of you can give me.
    I am a UBC Alumni, and I know you guys are awesome!

-in the picture the white dust is actually the insecticide I tried to
    use. However you really can see the webs. I will dust off the
    plants once I get rid of these insects. I only found out after
    how much of a hazard Sevin is which contains Carbaryl.

Attached Files:

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

How have you let this infestation get to this state of affairs? You need to check on your tree at least once a week. What your tree is infested with is an insect called Spider Mites. The very first thing you need to do is take the tree to your sink and spray the tree down with your sink sprayer. Spray the upper and lower leaf surfaces as well as the trunk and branches. If you don't have a sprayer on you sink, take the tree to the shower. Then follow up with a spray program using either a horticultural oil (Ultra Fine) or a soapy water spray. Use the search function on this forum and insert the words "spider mites", "Ultra Fine", or "soap' and you will find a lot of information on how to control this insect. - Good look to this poor tree. - Millet