Apple Trees and Plum trees for Zone 3

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by purple ox, Oct 3, 2004.

1. purple ox

purple ox Member

Hello from the Purple Ox!We live in Clearwater and are starting our Arts Crafts and More business and want to grow apple trees that will thrive here in Clearwater BC on our mountainside 10 acres. 762 meters above sea level. We have quite alkaline soil so would also like to know what amendments would go with these trees. We would like to plant in the spring as we already have frosts here-the garlic is already planted! We have an good source of well rotted horse manure and composted wood chips that will go a long ways to amend the soil.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Purple Ox, welcome to the forums. I assume you are going to grow apples to sell with your crafts. If you can, come down to the Apple Festival at the UBC Botanical Gardens on October 16-17. There will be experts on hand to help you choose the best varieties for your area. You would have a chance to sample quite a few different apples as well.

I copied your post to the Fruit Tree Forum. You will get a better response on your questions there.

3. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Purple Ox,
    I grow apples and plums in zone 3, Alberta; not commercially but for a hobby. There are many out there that are real good. In terms of Malus I have Norland, Parkland, Goodland, 9-22-End, Minnisota 447, Spartan, MacSpur, Norkent, Mantet, Battleford, Heyer 12, Garland, September Ruby, Fall Red, PF 12, Millstream, Harcourt, BA 13, Trailman, Rescue, BF135, Renown and an unknown that makes fantastic juice. Plums and its hybrids that I have are Pembina, Zapie, Ivanovka, Salpata, Opata, Kappa and Sapa. There are others but my yard is too small to accomodate anymore. There are good ones bred by University of saskatchewan. You should have a look at those too.
    Peace
    Thean

4. Patrick Thirkell

Patrick Thirkell Member

Cider is a great way to process apples, very easy to make, and can be made from a mixture of varieties. Freeze distillation makes applejack, which keeps even longer. All instructions are easily googled.