Transplanting older grapes

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by jparby, Oct 18, 2008.

1. jparby

jparby Member

Hi
    I have a 60 foot 25 to 30 year old green seedless grapes that I have to move because of some construction, so it has to be moved and or cuttings taken within the next 10 days to 2 weeks. I really don't want to start over because this is such a emotional undertaking because my Dad planted these, they are such great producers, very healthy and beautiful vines. What is if any the best way to move these huge vines and can I take the hard wood cuttings now? All the leaves are gone and it's been in the low to high 40 most nights. Also if I take the cuttings can they go into some containers or do they need to directly into the ground? How about using root hormones and vits will that help?
    Thank You
    Phyllis

2. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Hi It will be pretty difficult to transplant an older vine like that. You could try to move it to another location. I suspect that it will be quite deep-rooted so it would be difficult to move. You''ll have to prune it back as well. Just make sure to get as much of the roots that you can and to water it in really well. If you want to take cuttings check ot this website;

http://www.bunchgrapes.com/cuttings.html

Cheers