UBC Botanical Garden - the nursery at UBC Farm

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Georgia Strait, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    ... had a chance to visit some relatives who garden out there - recently. Beautiful oasis. I sure hope that people realize the value of that treasure.

in any event, I noticed a sign that said "UBC Botanical Garden Nursery"

plus I understand that some students at the UBC do research

does anyone know what happens out there in the farm?

I know about First Nations, I know about the Children's Garden, I know about Mayan Garden, and also the farmer market

what current projects are out there?

I remember when Botanical Garden introduced "Vancouver Gold" (broom) - is that the correct name? And something else, maybe a clematis?

It would be interesting to us to know more and be aware as we don't often have a chance to visit in person

thank you

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Unlike the UBC Farm, the Botanical Garden Nursery is not a public facility. Strict security protocols are necessary to protect the health of plants and integrity of research.

The Botanical Garden Nursery produces virtually everything that grows in the Botanical Garden. Most of the plants in the Garden are grown from wild collected seed. These are processed in the Nursery and the seedlings grown on until large enough to plant out. Hanging basket and container plants for display, and many vegetable transplants for the Food Garden, as well as replacement plants (from stem cuttings of existing plants) are also produced in the Nursery.

There is also plenty of research undertaken at the Nursery. Ornamental plant trials here over the last decade or so produced not just Genista pilosa 'Vancouver Gold', but Arctostaphylos uva-ursi 'Vancouver Jade', Lonicera 'Mandarin', Clematis chiisanensis 'Lemon Bells' and Ribes sanguineum 'White Icicle', as well (and a raft of other Botanical Garden introductions and recommendations). The Vancouver Ornamental Cherry Propagation Project (a collaboration of UBC Botanical Garden, Vancouver Park Board, the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival and the BCIT Biotechnolgy program) has its home in the Nursery, and there are other field trials for plant breeding projects. Gardens that supply plants for university courses are also housed at this facility.