Unknown pest, unknown shrub!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by violetbadger, Jul 5, 2011.

1. violetbadger

violetbadger Member

I have an infestation in this flowering shrub - sorry, don't know the name. The effect is to bleed the colour from the flowers; the leaves are mottled and 'cupped'. I noticed some tiny insects on the backs of several leaves, pure white, shaped like an aphid. Is there anything else I can do besides removing the affected branches (there are many)?

For what it's worth, the shrub is planted directly under a large ornamental, which does not seem to be affected.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

#3 is a Manitoba Maple Acer negundo.

3. violetbadger

violetbadger Member

Oh dear, Box Elder, described in my book as a 'weed tree', among other virtues. Never mind - it provides beautiful shade in the summer and leafless, lets the light flood into my kitchen during the winter. Thanks.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Acer negundo gets a bad rap. It is invasive in Australia, and I see it as listed as weedy in a reference for NE USA, but I don't think that's the case for BC. I suspect some of the attitude is that there are superior ornamental selections, but when it comes to ornament, part of it is whatever you choose/permit to grow for yourself.

5. MoDirt

MoDirt Active Member

I have seen a Varigated 'A.negundo' and know of 2 amazing specimens in North Vancouver that would put a Dissectum to shame any day.

#1-2 look like Spirea.

Could be an Aphid as Spirea gets them,but most likely a type of scale .

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2011
  6. violetbadger

violetbadger Member

I'm pretty sure it's aphids, time to get out the soap. Thanks everyone.