1. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

First an apology for the lack of a photo but my camera is not working.

I started finding what I guess is the remains of an insect both on plants, wood and plastic in the garden. It is best described as looking like a 1/3 inch bundle of tiny stick like material which is very firmly glued on its host. The "sticks" vary in colour from grey to brown and are no longer alive. Is it the remainder of a larve which has hatched? Have tried to identify it through the entomogical sites but do not know where to start.

Thanks for any info.

Margaret

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Pupal cases of some sort?

3. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Pupal cases of mosquitos? If you have any small water bodies or containers around. I have found them stuck to my wood siding within a few feet of the water. This was in the in the old days when I did not do larva control on a small pond in a courtyard.

4. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Thanks Daniel and Lyschiton.
    They may indeed by from mosquitos - itch, itch. We do not any water in the garden other than that remaining from the rain but this often pools in plant holders etc and I understand that mosquitos do not need much water to hatch in.
    Margaret