British Columbia: Dying Raspberry canes

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by casey58, Jun 26, 2011.

1. casey58

casey58 Member

I have been growing the Willimette raspberry canes for almost 20 years now and for the past 2 years I have had the same problem. The canes come up lovely, lush and green. Fruit starts to form and then they start dying off. I have dug up a number of the bushes over the past 2 years and cannot find any problems with the root system or anything on the leaves. What can I do to stop this from happening? The canes are moved every 3-4 years. We have very sandy soil but I have built it up over the years with manue and compost. Help!! I don't want to lose any more of my canes.

2. sorbapple

sorbapple Member

We've experienced the same problem this year and last (we're just south of you in Washington State). I find it hard to believe it's not weather-related.

I definitely saw some sort of black blight on the leaves before the canes died, so I'm also assuming it's fungal (no real surprise there). It impacted a solid 80% of the canes that would have bloomed this year. :(

3. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

Time to replace your stock with new disease free.

4. ian66

ian66 Active Member

Have you checked for raspberry cane borer?

Ian

5. casey58

casey58 Member

I have tried new certified plants that were to be disease free and that's where it all started. I checked the plants for the boar, but it wasn't that. After further investigation, I think I have the Phytophthora Root Rot. I am rather surprised that it would infect this soil though. We have sandy soil and I have always been careful of what I put on them. Someone told me that I should have sprayed them with a dormant spray. I'm not too sure that would help at this point. Guess I'll just have to dig them all up and wait till fall to find some different plants and put them in a different location. Thank you all for the info though.
    Casey