Buttercups, help

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by trishmarg, May 13, 2011.

1. trishmarg

trishmarg Member

Hello,

I am trying to get rid of some large buttercup patches on my property. What is the best way to do it? I have tried physically removing them, using a torch on them and don't know what to try next. We plan on improving the soil and drainage in the fall, but what is the most effective way of getting rid of them? Has anyone tried soil solarization?

Thanks for the help, trishmarg

2. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

Improving the drainage is your best bet - until then, you'll either have to tolerate them, or keep pulling them out. The best way to combat these agressive weeds (short of spraying them, ugh!) is to make your lawn as healthy as possible. So improving drainage is very important as they do best in damp soil; the lawn grass suffers in the same conditions and can't defend itself. Also important is fertilization during the growing season, and ensuring that no other pests are bothering it. Sorry for the bad news, but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

3. Gabriolan

Gabriolan Active Member 10 Years

I'm planting native plants that thrive in wet conditions. I hope that, with encouragement, the natives will replace the buttercup.

4. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

That's a great idea, Gabriolan. The less lawn, really, the better.

5. Gabriolan

Gabriolan Active Member 10 Years

Exactly. What is the use of some stupid thing I am supposed to mow and weed? I can't fathom why people want lawns. I want none of it!

6. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

And water, and fertilize...the idea of just leaving it after it's established is very appealing. Usually looks better and lasts longer, depending on what's planted.

7. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

To be successful in the battle first of all you must know your enemy. Here are two links to the first class info on buttercups (tall and creeping, I don't know which do you have).
    http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/animalsAndPlants/noxious-weeds/weed-identification/creeping-buttercup.aspx and http://www.plant-materials.nrcs.usda.gov/pubs/mtpmspg9887.pdf
    I have tried solarization to get rid of patches of common yarrow which is dangerously invasive. It didn't work. It was funny to watch the plants thriving even more under the transparent plastic, as if in a greenhouse. What works though is black plastic. To be on the safe side I kept my weeds covered with tarp (the kind commonly used in lumberyards) for a year and a half, since early spring to next year's fall. They are gone.

8. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

You can try an iron based spray called "EcoSense" to control your weeds. It's non-toxic.
    Usually 2 applications during a dry period will help.