JM's as understory tree?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by astrodog, Aug 6, 2006.

1. astrodog

astrodog Member

Hi All, Is it a best all around idea to plant Jm's under larger trees in the SE ? While the three I have in direct sun now are growing well, I am noticing some sun scorch on branches. I will move them to less sunny spot when dormant...But also my concern is for the 20 plus 1 & 2 year olds that I recently purchased (OCD). I made sure they were adaptable to (any) exposure as stated in the 3rd Edition VERTREES. I realize that although I may not get some of the more brilliant colors that can only be achieved in the sun, I will be growing a healthier tree. I have 2 acres so they do have plenty of room. I have an area that gets a bit more sun, than dappled shade all day long thanks to some very large oaks. Right now they are in containers and I will wait until fall for whatever my plan is. But I would love some of your feedback so these beauties will hopefully outlive me.

Thanks
    B

2. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

The JC Raulston Arboretum holds one of the best collections of Japanese maple (Acer palmatum) cultivars in the southeastern U.S. http://www.ncsu.edu/jcraulstonarboretum. Red lace-leaf Japanese maple (Acer palmatum Dissectum Atropurpureum Group) [-] A signature plant of the Arboretum, this nearly 100 year-old specimen has leaves that emerge a deep burgundy-red color in spring, turning green during the summertime, and finally becoming a rich burgundy throughout the fall. In the winter, this plant has a lovely sculptural form. Id. Personally, I would make a least one trip to the Raulston Arboretum to see how their Acer palmatum cultivars are planted and watered, at what age they are planted, and whether they are suffering from significant sunscald. After reading about so much sunscald in the Maples forum, I am appreciating every beautiful trunk I encounter, even in my own collection, which is often under the shade of the trees own leaves. I am wondering if it helps to plant the tree out in full sun, when it is a little older and has adequate leaf cover. They are definitely understory trees in the wild, so I would not worry about planting in dappled shade. In my collection, the majority of which are in pots, which can be moved around, there are no specimens, which receive full sun (> 6 continuous hours), but the autumn colors are spectacular. If you are interested in maples in general, I have noticed over the last few years that the Raulston has made an effort to acquire rare plants, including a wide variety of Acer species. Later in September they are celebrating with a 30th Anniversary Symposium, which sounds really interesting. As far as planting young trees with more mature oaks, I think that we all would appreciate it if you share what you learn. The local extension office may be able to help you with information about planting within so many feet of the particular species in your garden. I have planted a couple of cultivars and species within 8' of Douglas firs over 75' tall, but they do not cast as much shade as oaks, nor do they compete in the same way as oaks. It seems that UBCBG has a few species planted as close to Douglas firs, which are at least as tall.