Identification: Roadside plant near Lillooet

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Robert Flogaus-Faust, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Robert Flogaus-Faust

Robert Flogaus-Faust Active Member 10 Years

I found this little plant on June 19, 2006 near Lillooet, probably close to the road leading to Fountain Valley. Is this Centaurea diffusa or what else could it be?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think that is the likeliest species, yes, though we have a number of introduced knapweeds in BC.

3. Robert Flogaus-Faust

Robert Flogaus-Faust Active Member 10 Years

Thanks, Daniel! So if this is a knapweed, what else could it be in the area? The "Illustrated Flora of British Columbia" does not list any other species with so spiny involucral bracts except for Centaurea melitensis, which is apparently only known from some islands. Then there is Acroptilon repens with much wider leaves and broader involucral bracts, judging from the photographs I found on the web.

With kind regards,

Robert.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think you've covered what else it could be (and isn't) for things that are in the Illustrated Flora.