Lilly care

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by sailor, Oct 30, 2006.

1. sailor

sailor Member

Please bear with me. i'm new to gardening and 'threads'.

I have a canon lilly - name landscaper gave me for it- . I'm in the southern end of Exuma, Bahamas. It is flowering and beautiful. There are 3 bulbs growing together, leaves are 4-5 feet high, blossom spread is 12" wide.

Can I separate bulbs?
    How can I help it overwinter?
    When do I fertilize it and with what?
    What's history of this plant?

thanks for the help,
    Sailor

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

A search on these forums for [SEARCH]canna lily[/SEARCH] will answer most of your questions. What aspect of its history are you interested in?

3. sailor

sailor Member

Thanks for the canna lilly info. Rather than history, I mean its life cycle... after visiting the site you suggest, I will see if I still have a question. Sailor

4. sailor

sailor Member

What is this lilly???
    After seeing the real canna lilly, it is not what I have.
    My plant is saber leafed, with leaf starting at the 'bulb', ground level, like a bromeliad. As the leaves wither, they can be peeled off the bulb. The flower stalk comes from the same 'bulb' and its stem is deep maroon, including the bud until it begins to open, showing a hugh showerhead, uncrowded cluster of thin, long petalled pale pink blossoms. They blossom over several days from a very long, thin bud.
    I need to send a picture. This will take a while for me to figure out how to get photo from my file to attach here... Later, Sailor

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006