Washington: overgrown Jasminum officinale

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by cmorrell, Feb 15, 2011.

1. cmorrell

cmorrell Member

My 7 year old Jasminum officinale (poets jasmine) growing over metal arched arbor has gotten too heavy & needs major pruning. Arbor has a rope tied to fence to keep it upright when the wind blows. I've pruned it lightly every summer but it needs to be cut back hard. I live in Skagit county WA & temp is mild. Can I prune it now or should I wait until after it blooms late spring? It's leafless now so much easier to do now then later. I'm new to the forum but have visited for years as info is so helpful.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd cut it now. And think about installing an adequate support.

3. cmorrell

cmorrell Member

Weather forecast is 25° F, should I wait until it warms up? I think the arbor is strong enough I just didn't prune if hard enough over the last 5-6 years so it's gotten huge.

Appreciate your advice.
    Chris

4. Ron B

Then arbor needs to be bigger. Or plant moved to larger space. You always have to match size potential of climbers with space available. Even with twice annual pruning of suitable types, such as wisterias specimen will have more eventual size and appearance of bigness then a naturally smaller and more slight-looking kind.

Next I would look in some good pruning books to see about details of pruning this particular vine. I have an entire small collection of pruning books I was able to find on the local market in recent years, all/most of them new.

5. cmorrell

cmorrell Member

I spent a lot of time researching vines & their growth habit to match arbor size before I planted it. Soil is excellent, 4' deep of Skagit counties best soil with lots of local compost & plenty of sun. I have a single Akebia vine that's 32' long, has to be pruned hard every year, & Miscanthis Sinensis Morning Light grass that's divided every couple of years & is 7' tall while label says 4-5'. So everything here grows larger than published info. But thanks for the info, I'll give it a major pruning.

Txs
    Chris

6. Ron B

32' for Akebia is not that rare, this is pretty well known to be a climber of fair size. Across the street from Bainbridge Gardens nursery I once saw a five-leaf akebia that was all over a section of undeveloped land, like a grape or wisteria.

My common jasmine is confined to a clump made up of it and two other kinds of plants by my front door. Elsewhere in this area (Greater Seattle) I have seen a few maybe as big as 15-20'.

7. cmorrell

cmorrell Member

The Akebia is perfect for the 50' arbor we built, semi evergreen it provides lots of privacy screening. I spent most of my life in Seattle, moved up here about 8 years. With Christianson's Nursery just a few miles away & so many organic produce stands I'm in heaven.

Thanks for your help Ron.

Chris