Tree ferns in New York

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by RichardL, Mar 25, 2007.

1. smivies

smivies Active Member

If the ferns in question were labelled correctly and are indeed tree ferns of any sort, no amount of protection short of a greenhouse built over them is going to get them through a New York state winter. There is really too large a gap between the climate they will tolerate and the climate you actually have. If, by some miracle, they do survive, they aren't tree ferns.

If you did want a tree fern in your garden, I would hire a gardening firm to plunge large pots containing a tree fern into your garden in the summer and then remove them to a greenhouse come fall. Trying to get sufficient inplace winter protection is just not going to be practical for you.

Simon

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Richard, it looks like a great job. You need a book called Ferns for American Gardens by John Mickel. He grows ferns in your area, and you have many options.

I've heard the ivy is spread into local woods by bird distribution of seed, so I personally simply wouldn't grow the stuff. There are many shade ground covers (ajuga and many more) as alternatives - check out shade gardening books.

3. RichardL

RichardL Member

Thank you for the compliments. I will definitely pick up the book. I am still holding out hope that I can incorporate ferns into the landscaping. I had some Maidenhairs last summer and they did very poorly, so I will avoid them. There is much more ground than I covered in the photos and ferns will really set off the yews, hostas, etc that seem to work well. Did one of my regular stops at Home Depot, and they got in their first delivery at the nursery. Picked up a bunch of PJM Rotos, Eunonymous, and Pachysandra. I avoided the Ivys :-). Home Depot is hit or miss, you can really find great stuff after deliveries. I'll fire up the sprinklers this weekend. Gotta keep plugging along...

I am considering keeping one area (first photo to the left of the waterfall) as all Tazmanian Tree Ferns (if Home Depot offers them again) and scheming some kind of winter protection/sub climate Liz has mentioned. I hear what Smivies is saying, and I can maybe challenge the odds - yes, it will not be practical to introduce a greenhouse, but it may be worth another attempt at something. The Tree Ferns just look so great.

Liz - the photos in the website for Tarra Bulga are amazing! Yes, they are called Tree Ferns, but those shots really bring it home!

Any more shady ideas are welcome...

Thanks.