Pruning Sweet Autumn Flowering Clematis

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Eric La Fountaine, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

I have a Sweet Autumn Flowering Clematis which is about to bloom and is currently about 30 ft. tall. It comes up beside our garage, which is under the porch and first floor of our home, and goes across the porch railing. In winter it is unsightly. I live in Hamilton, ON (Zone 6). Is it safe to cut the vine to about half it's height after it has turned brown in winter? If I could get it off the railing it would vastly improve the appearance of our home. However, I do not want to chance destroying the plant which is so beautiful and the envy of my neighbourhood when in flower. Thank you.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Should be fine.

3. Willo

Willo Member

Thank you, Ron.

4. Shohin

Shohin Member

Hi,
    Hope we're talking about the same subject: C. ternifolia. Although you can prune it almost anytime after it entered domancy, the experts say that its no use doing it in late fall/early winter as the winter casualities like freeze or snow might do it necessary to repeat the "offence" in spring. Pruning is better done in early spring. You may prune the last year's stems light, as you want, or hard: 6-12'' from the ground, 'cause it grows vigorously, and should recover well in the growing season. Drastic pruning seems to have a beneficial effect on flowering and overall health of this vine. Here's a couple of articles that might be helpful.
    http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/clematis/2002095824028038.html
    http://gardening.about.com/od/perennials/a/PruningClematis.htm
    Marius from Romania