Wallflowers - care of

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Peg, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Peg

Peg Member

I have several wallflowers I started from seed. They will bloom soon and I want to know what I should do regarding pruning them into shape after they bloom. Any help would be appreciated!

Peg in Comox

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. topellk

topellk Member

Hi,
    I have some very old fashion, old variety wallflowers that are biennials that are just starting to bloom in central Washington State. Because they are basically biennials (but, will bloom on old wood) they get very woody and scruffy if left in the ground over 2 yrs. I pull them up after 2yrs and let the little ones alone. Mine are growing in very rocky, clay loam. We are zone 5b - 6 and I irrigate them; but, they are very tolerant of all sorts of abuse.
    ltopellk

4. Wallflowers were very popular for carpet bedding with tulips years ago in Scotland. They are a very easy plant as a biennial. Pinching out the lead growth in the fall makes a fuller plant.
    However nowadays I use wallfower cultivars as perennials. Probably the best known is the cultivar 'Bowles' Mauve', which has beautiful greyish foliage, a mounding habit to 2ft by 4 ft and flowers prolifically over a long period in the Vancouver climate. It is so undemanding it is used in plantings on medians. Just shear off dead flowers and remember to take cuttings as the plants last only about 4 years or so.
    Another popular cultivar is 'John Coddrington' which has yellow to purple tones. It is a lower growing, rather sprawly, plant but very useful for May blooming.
    Enjoy!