Datura or Angels Trumpet

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Miry, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Miry

Miry Member

I was given a pink datura so I also bought a yellow one. I planted them together when they were quite small. They are massive right now and I'm not sure what to do with them. I stopped counting flowers at 45. My question is when do I cut them back and will they stand the cold in my garage or does anybody have any other ideas? I have attached pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Why do you keep them in a pot?

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    they used to have a big yellow one in a large pot at Quality Farm Supply Nursery on Pratt Rd - and they kept it in the retail greenhouse all winter. Maybe ask them for advice. Seek out Betty - not the owner, rather Betty the lady who works out with the plants.

4. Miry

Miry Member

I kept them in the pot because they were small and I was told they had to be brought in for the winter.

I will ask them at Quality Farms.

5. Georgia Strait

yes, my understanding at the coast is that they are tender - ie no frost, cold temps. It would surprise me to see someone wintering it outside here or permanently planting in garden.

remember, they are extremely toxic so don't let pets or children near them. Our pets (cats & dogs) like to chew leaves on indoor / overwintered plants. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura#Toxicity

6. Miry

Miry Member

Thanks for the warning. I knew that they were toxic so that is why they are outside of my fenced in backyard which is where my 2 doxies play.

It is so big and loaded with flowers that I moved it closer to the front door and used bungee cords to hold it in place so that the wind doesn't knock it over. This has happened twice. The scent is lovely and the flowers are amazing!!!!.

7. tuffytown

tuffytown Active Member

I put mine in the basement near a small window and where the cats can't get near them and keep them from drying out. They usually drop all their leaves but start up again in spring. They can't overwinter outside here.

They do get leggy over time so I am pruning them back now to lower branching locations on the ones with no flowers so they will be fuller next year.

They are also easy to propagate by cuttings so when they start in the spring I will cut off some of the taller branches with several leaves and stick in a pot with rooting hormone, they generally take.

8. Miry

Miry Member

Great information, thank you!

My plant is so big that I have to use bungy cords and attach to the side of the house. Otherwise the wind comes along and down it goes. The plant still has lots of buds. Should I still cut the branches back anyways?

I don't have a basement but a garage. Although I don't know if it would get too cold there and it is the only place that I have to keep it.

Thanks again.

9. tuffytown

tuffytown Active Member

I'm no expert but I just try to cut back when there is still a little growing to occur before dormancy so the leaf buds break. It may be just as successful to do it in spring when it starts growing again.

I've never tried a garage, it needs to stay well above freezing as far as I know. I used to keep it in my living room for the winter but the basement location near the window is better for cat separation.

10. Georgia Strait

hi Miry - useful info posted today by another gardener here

also ---- I happened to be at Quality on Pratt recently and I asked one of the very experienced "plant handlers" about the datura they have there - and she said it always winters in their big greenhouse - if you have not already done so- go and have a look.

also - I noticed a datura in a garden bed outside the public library in Sechelt - kind of in the middle of the car entry off Cowrie St - near the farmer market - anyway - it would be interesting to note where it goes for a "winter holiday" - maybe the Sechelt works yard has a greenhouse - shed for it.

11. Miry

Miry Member

You have been visiting the coast I see.

I go to the market every Saturday and I have noticed their beautiful daturas.

Yesterday was their last day so I will surely miss them.

They should have their book sale at the library next week so I will inquire about what they do with them.

Thanks for your input.

12. Miry

Miry Member

Re: Datura

I wonder if I cut some slips off now, put them in water, if they would keep alive until spring?
    Otherwise, I will cut it back soon, put the plant in the garage and hope that it lives.

13. tuffytown

tuffytown Active Member

I took some yesterday and put them directly in soil with a tent for moisture retention. Either that or into the compost bin.

They will go in the rack with the dozens of fall fuchsia cuttings that have about 50% survival over the winter in their freeze proof enclosure.

14. bonsaipf

bonsaipf Active Member

In our area (I'll call it the lower mainland), we are fairly close to being to overwinter them outside. If it weren't for the fact that our temps sometimes dip below freezing for certain periods of time they could overwinter outside and I have even heard of people covering them over with leaves and burlap to keep them over winter. However, having said that, it is not something I would recommend. But with mine, I dig them up every fall, put them in pots and then put them in an unheated room off the side of our house. And they do great!! The key is just making sure they don't freeze.