Trying to source Ichiyo ornamental cherry

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by artnerd, Aug 12, 2014.

1. artnerd

artnerd Active Member

I am striking out with garden centers all over the lower mainland trying to find an Ichiyo ornamental cherry for purchase. I realize it's not the best time of year to be be sourcing this tree, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated!

Can anyone suggest a retailer, or wholesaler who will deal with the public, that may have this in stock? Thank you in advance.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

There are numbers of different Japanese cherries still present in public and private plantings that are effectively extinct commercially on this continent, you are extremely unlikely to encounter material offered under this name at the present time. If you have access to a still adequately healthy and vigorous example you will probably have to get cuttings or scions from it and attempt to root or graft plants of your own in order to get the tree.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I agree with what Ron said, having just seen a list of what Prunus are available from a large local supplier to the trade. On the other hand, here's a young 'Ichiyo' at VanDusen Botanical Garden. They must have got it from somewhere, though I suppose they could have cloned it themselves from the 1979 tree that I see in their database.
    20140426_VanDusen_Ichiyo_Cutler_P1050219.jpg 20140426_VanDusen_Ichiyo_Cutler_P1050224.jpg

Maybe you can ask VanDusen where they got theirs (and post the reply here, as I can use that info!). It would be nice to see more of those in Vancouver.

4. artnerd

artnerd Active Member

Thank you for the advice Ron B and wcutler, and thanks for the Ichiyo pix as well. I contacted Van Dusen as suggested, and they were very helpful. Spoke to their Propagator, and he told me they sourced their younger Ichiyo from a specialty nursery in Langley BC called Fertile Acres. I contacted them, and the very helpful fellow there said they no longer grow this cultivar. He did say he would see if he could source one elsewhere for me, but it has been several weeks and no luck. I am wondering if either of you could perhaps recommend a flowering cherry of similar appearance that fares well in the BC Lower Mainland climate? I need to get something in the ground before the monsoon season starts.

Thanks in advance.

5. wcutler

'Shirofugen' are nice trees and they look fairly similar to 'Ichiyo' in their flowers. The trees would want to be a little (or possibly a lot) more spreading. They're not so rare in garden centres.

6. artnerd

artnerd Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Shirofugen was previously on my shortlist. They are beautiful!

7. artnerd

artnerd Active Member

Just wanted to thank you both for the insight last fall, after further discussion with the Tree Guy at a respected nursery, he agreed it was a great choice, so went with a @ 8' tall Shirofugen. Due to delays had to plant it in the dead of winter in the worst possible conditions... and it's thriving! Bloomed amazingly well this year, lasting almost 2 months from bud to final fading flowers, was very impressed. New foliage reads as flamingo pink against dark evergreens behind it, combined with the bud-flower progression, W-O-W. This tree is a tough STUNNER.

Still a few flowers left clinging even now. More than 1' of new growth up & out already this year, nice chartreuse leaves now, looking forward to what Fall may bring for leaf colour. Will try to post a few pix when I get another moment.

Great advice, thanks again!

8. wcutler

Yes, you certainly get your money's worth from 'Shiro-fugen' flowers. As you said, they hang on a very long time. They keep changing too - will grow leafy-looking things from the centres of the flowers (not real leaves), and they could put out a small number of new white flowers this month, or usually in June, but I think maybe not this year. Still, the old flowers should be all kinds combinations of pink and white.