Blue Atlas Cedar

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by RHaney, Jun 5, 2006.

1. RHaney

RHaney Member

I just purchased two 6' Blue Atlas Cedars. I live in Oklahoma City and we are looking ot have a hot summer. Average high temps in the high 90's to 103 on somedays. Need advice on how to plant these trees.

1.) Should I leave the burlap on or take off?
    2.) Should I get any type of fertile soil to fill back in with or not?
    3.) What type of growth boosters should I use or should I use any?
    4.) How often should I water them?
    5.) Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Remove all materials
    Replant in loosened, unamended existing soil. Mulch after planting, no mulch against trunk.
    No transplant hormones. Fertilize as indicated by soil test, if fertilizer indicated.
    Water enough to keep moist. This varies with soil and weather.
    Full sun and good drainage. Lots of room, a giant-growing skyline tree where successful. Heat there probably not an issue, I would wonder about coldest winters taking them out. You may want to inquire locally before planting, in case you have been sold something that actually doesn't persist in your area. (Here you simply have to get in a car and drive around a bit to see tall examples, if that is not the case there it could be a red flag).

3. RHaney

RHaney Member

Much appreciated. I have dug the hole and there is the typical Oklahoma red clay and a little sand, (probably from when they built the house). I am tempted to at least put some richer soil beneath. Bad decision to do that?

Roland

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not helpful. In controlled studies top growth has increased after roots got across amended zone and into unamended soil beyond amended planting hole, showing that the unmodified soil was actually better for growth. You don't want to do anything that will adversely affect how water moves into planting hole and out of it, liberal amending of small planting holes can result in water being received from surrounding unmodified soil and collecting in the planting hole during wet conditions. It can also result in water being shed to unmodified soil around planting hole during dry conditions. Both result from amendments giving amended backfill a coarser texture than surrounding unamended soil. If existing soil very coarse effects on water movement of amending may vary, but results in studies mostly uniform: amending of small planting holes does not enhance results.