Identification: got plants but no names

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jack duren, Dec 22, 2003.

1. jack duren

jack duren Member

my brother and family went over seas for a two year job. his wife loves plants but could not take them. i took several of the plants but do not have the names. most of the plants seem ok but with limited lighting in areas i have put them im afraid they may not make it in the long run.

ive got a couple ficus trees that are bug infested and im trying to deal with them. but one plant i believe to already be infested with bugs from being too close to the trees. without the names i cant treat this threat either.

is it ok to post several pictures to get an identification? thx jack

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sure, you can actually post all of your pictures in one posting.

Looking forward to them.

3. jack duren

jack duren Member

1st plant and sorry about the pictures. im still learning the camera..thx jack

Attached Files:

4. jack duren

jack duren Member

2nd plant....jack

Attached Files:

5. jack duren

jack duren Member

this plant seems to do well in the rec room with low light. atleast i think so. thx for any info on these plants.....jack

Attached Files:

6. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

starting from the bottom jade plant all off them are sucullents

7. jack duren

jack duren Member

well i know the second plant is a milk tree and the bottom a jade. can anyone tell me the 1st plants name. its growing wild....thx jack

8. jack duren

jack duren Member

its been determined that the plant is a Wandering Jew. but there seems to be diferent varieties. can anybody specify this ones name.....rebel

9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

When you say "it's growing wild", do you mean that it was found in the wild? Or that it is growing like wild (I suspect the latter).

See this thread for some discussion on the difficulties of identifying Tradescantia and related species.

What kind of light is it growing in? It may be Tradescantia pallida 'Purpurea' growing in suboptimal conditions for colouration. Is the plant very fragile (i.e., do the leaves break off easily)?

10. jack duren

jack duren Member

the plant is a house plant. but grows rather well. its in the window and from just the way it streteches for the window i would say a "full" sun plant. neither the wite nor the stripe jew resemble this plant. everyone is calling ut a wandering jew. yet it does not resemble neither i have seen.

the leaves break off about like any other. not as bad a a jade. the leaves are getting rather big 5" in length and 1.5 in width on the ends. the colors are purple underneath and green with a faint purple edging.

obviously it needs to be hung. without the corect information on the plant im not sure how to deal with it......jack

11. jack duren

jack duren Member

would better quality close up pictures help?.....jack

12. gina

gina Member

Top plant pic. is a Rhoeo, commonly known as an Oyster plant or Moses-in-the-Boat (its flowers give it the last name). They like bright indirect light, well draining soil and to be kept on the dry side. Water them thoroughly when its' soil is dry. For the middle plant pic.,I do not own one of those, but I do also have a Jade plant, (the bottom pic.) and it is important to water them sparingly. Wait until the leaves wrinkle a little and get a silky soft texture. That's how THEY tell YOU when they want water. Plant in a sandy soil and for a truely beautiful looking Jade, train it to grow as a tree by pruning their mass of trunks and branches down to a single trunk. (they also make a lovely, easy to keep bonsai!) :)

13. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

The middle plant appears to be a Euphorbia trigona, syn. E. hermentiana.