Guzmania "flower" moldy and stinky

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kannopy, Dec 4, 2014.

1. kannopy

kannopy New Member

Hello,

Someone sent me a Guzmania plant as a gift about 6 months ago. It already had a red "flower" on it when I received it. I've been watering it as recommended -- filling the leaf cups with water -- although I have never fertilized or repotted it.

About 2 weeks ago some of the leaves around the red bloom seemed to be turning brown at the tips. I watered it as normal, and added some extra water to the leaf cups of the bloom. Yesterday I noticed the center of the bloom looked odd, and when I investigated, I found that the center of the bloom had a white mold in it, and all the center leaves were dried up and dead.

Is this a natural part of the plant just dying? Or is it sick in some way that I can heal? It smells very bad which makes me worried -- should I not have watered the center part of the bloom?

Thank you!

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Guzmania is a genus in the bromeliad family. These plants are epiphytes, native to central and South America, need warm and humid conditions.
    If they are too wet and cold, root rot can occur.
    From the symptoms you describe I think that your plant is far too wet, and I suspect that it may also be too cold.
    It is essential that epiphytic plants, ones that naturally grow clinging to trees in the rain forest, have roots around which air can circulate.
    Advise getting the plant out of the pot to see how far gone it is. If any life remains, try repotting in fresh, loose medium, placing it in a warm, moderately bright location, and watering it but sparingly.