Pony Tail Palm: How Do I Cut The Top???

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by TexasGrandma62, May 12, 2005.

1. myplanet50

myplanet50 Member

Thank you so much

2. Chimene

Chimene Member

Does any one have pictures of how to cut the ponytail plant? Are you cutting into the actual ball of the plant?

3. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

4. Chimene

Chimene Member

Thank You Mark. That must be why the ponytail plant I just purchased 2 days ago has such a big foot but a really short stem. Since I am new to the forum I do not know how to post a picture, so I cannot show it to you. I have two really small ones on my patio, but they are not growing very fast. The one I just purchased cost me $20.00 and it's foot is 21 inches around and the stalk in only 3 inches with lots of tall leaves, which are about 3 ft in height.

5. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Beaucarnea tend to be slow growers, especially in containers. However, as long as you keep the soil very loose and well-draining, give them lots of light, and water when dry...it will live longer than you will.

Mark

6. larryd999

larryd999 Member

I have a 20 year old pony tail palm and it has been outdoors at all times. Last winter I neglected to protect it from the long hard freeze and the top was killed. It was about 9 feet tall and the top 4 feet died. I simply cut it back and now have 20 new sprouts just below the cut. It is very healthy and the base is about 16" in diameter.

7. mwestberg

mwestberg Member

Last year I discovered that my cat had been using my 5' pony tail palm as a scratching post for sometime and severly damaged the stalk. I have wrapped aluminum foil around the base to stop bad kitty but can tell that the trunk should probably be cut. The plant is super healthy and the base is about 16'' in diameter, but the stalk narrows in the center of the damage to less than half of its original width. Above the damaged trunk the plant is doing well with a normal size but have the feeling that there will be complications later. And so this weekend I will take the forums advice and sever the trunk. Yikes!
    I have discovered a green and brown foil that florists use in case anyone else has the same problem with pets.

8. Ray M

Ray M Member

P07-25-16_18.24.jpg P08-03-16_15.02[2] (1).jpg P08-21-16_19.06.jpg P08-21-16_19.07.jpg P08-22-16_19.17[1].jpg
    I have a plant in my front yard that I planted from a pot about 2 years ago.
    It was about 3-4 foot tall when I planted it. It started blooming around the middle of July.
    Here are a few pics.