how can I help my Pony Tail Plant?

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by vdesilva, Apr 16, 2005.

1. vdesilva

vdesilva Member

we have had this pony tail plant for about 7 years. It lives in our sitting room and is watered when the pot is dry; onece a month in the winter and once a week in the summer. It is fed in the spring for the last 3 years.

In the last two years it has got progressively thinner and this year the leaves have lost theiot colour.

I feel that this is not good

could you please help me improve my plant

thanking you in advance

regards

vernon

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Vernon,

When was the last time it was repotted?

Newt

3. vdesilva

vdesilva Member

it has not been repotted!

what frequency and how much bigger need the pot be?

Vernon

4. Newt

5. vdesilva

vdesilva Member

thanks

Vernon

6. Newt

You are very welcome!
    Newt

7. TexasGrandma62

TexasGrandma62 Member

Vernon, I've had the same pony tail for 20 years. I've repotted it about 3 times in it's life, but now it's too big. How tall is yours??

Also, during the winter, when it lives inside, I do feed it every other month. During the summer, it's outside, and I feed it every other time I water, which is about every week or 5 days.

If there is less than an inch between the bottom bulb and the pot, then it need a bigger one. Also, perhaps feed it more.

Marci

8. I've had the same pony tail plant for 30+ years. It has lived its life as a potted plant. This year, it grew a baby offshoot from the bulb. What do I do with this baby? Let it grow? Will it hurt the plant? How do I remove it to start another potted plant?

9. TexasGrandma62

TexasGrandma62 Member

I previously posted (in April, I think) a question about cutting the top of my 20 year old plant. This year, where I planned to cut, there is new growth coming out of the stalk, up toward the top. This is great for me.

Do you think if I cut upwards of the new growth that new growth will continue?

I would never cut new growth off the plant.

We just need to be able to get it back into the house in the fall.

Y'all's advice is wonderful

10. Newt

11. Newt

Hi Texas Grandma,

If I'm understanding you, there is new growth sprouting in the middle of the stalk with the stalk part above it appearing dead. I've never pruned mine nor had to, so I really can't say. If the new growth is on the side of the stalk that appears dead, you should be ok. I'm hoping someone else will respond. Can you post a picture?

Newt

12. peachiepie

peachiepie Member

Hi,
    My mom has a 30 year old pony tail plant that was given to her. In the past few months it has been looking rather sad, and we have no clue what to do about it. could you help us.

13. Newt

Hi Peachiepie,

Not sure what could be the cause of "looking rather sad" or just what is going on with your mother's plant. You would need to describe what you see. Are the leaves wilting, do they have spots, are they turning yellow, etc? Also let us know how long it's been in it's current pot or if it was repotted. If it was repotted, how much larger a pot was used and when was it done. Has the plant been moved closer to a heat source or a drafty window?

Newt

14. The leaves of the plant are green towards the top of the leaves and about two inches to the bottom they are brown. As long as we have had the plant it has not been repotted, which has been about four years. My mom also hadent watered it for a while, and the new growth began to die.

Thanks
    <33