Arbutus: Arbutus in PEI

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Michael Zinck, May 3, 2006.

1. Michael Zinck

Michael Zinck Active Member

Arbutus in PEI - December 5

Group;

First snow down, only 8cm, but temperatures down to -8 overnight, daytime high to -3c. The snow was wet, heavy and froze later due to the low temperatures. I think my decision to cover CB in burlap is helpful given he only has one main stem so he can not really afford to have one break off. My rhododendrun is weighted down with this wet snow. Temperatures are set to go to +3c on Thursday. It is our first real winter weather.

Michael

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Arbustus in PEI

Hi Michael,

How does the burlap cover it? - is there a rigid structure of some sorts to stop the weight of snow crushing the burlap down onto the plant?

Any photos yet?!

3. Michael Zinck

Michael F

It has 3 stakes with burlap wrapped them and stapled to it, then some burlap folded over the top and stapled. I have attached 3 pictures from late spring before the end of May. I can tell this as there are no leaves on the trees. The soil is relatively loose with sandstone (the only rock we have here) and is red due to the iron oxide.

Now, if you look at the first picture the stem you will notice the bark is most of the way up the stem, right now the stem is actually about 4 inches higher and there is no bark, that I can see on that top portion, or at least it is not brown.

On the second picture you can see 2 small red leaves, these are the 2 that we killed by the late April frost. But look closely and you can see the new leaves above the older spotted leaves.

The third pictures is taken with the North River/Charlottetown harbour in the far background. This is the direction the sun rises so it will get sun all day.

I will go out on the weekend and get some up to date ones.

Michael

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  4. Michael F

Thanks!

5. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

Michael, CB is an adorable baby!

6. Michael Zinck

Arbutus in PEI - first winter pictures

Group;

Please see 3 pictures from my yard today. The second one is from inside the burlap covering. The pictures were taken before 730 am Tuesday morning. In the first one you can see the sun just beginning to light up the horizon.

Michael

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  7. Michael F

CB's looking just fine there!

8. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

My biggest fear is the winter winds devastating your plant...burlap may not suffice, then there is the -20c temps...?maybe not this year...good luck!

9. Michael Zinck

Arbutus in PEI - December 26

Group

I too worry about -20c weather, if an when we get it. The snow in the earlier pictures is gone as it got up to 5c on Christmas eve. We have some wet snow today, the 26th, but overall our temperature is near 0c or slightly above or below. The burlap will help against the winds a bit. Also on some other arbutus, my friend in Saint John had to throw out 2 of the 5 arbutus he had in pots, they were infested with some type of mit they picked up from another plant he had.

So far so good. Michael

10. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I understand that the Canadian maritime region has had a fairly nice autumn and start to winter in comparison to most years. Would January be the expected worst month as far as temps as weather are concrened?

Cheers, LPN.

11. Michael Zinck

LPN

No February would be the coldest month. While January can be cold we get usually get a warm period sometime during the month, a January thaw we call it. But from the last week of January to the 3rd week of February that can be the coldest period. Usually the real freeze down will last up to 2 weeks, then it breaks. In March things begin to warm up. The coldest I have experienced was a few years ago when it got to -40c or so. That was a bit cold even for us. Obviously burlap covering won't do you much good at that point. That's when my rhododendron leaves freeze and turn brown if exposed to the wind, which is the reason I was hoping for a snow cover.

Michael

12. Michael F

Ouch!

13. Michael Zinck

Arbutus in PEI - Jan 01, 2007

Group,

Happy New Year. Please find attached two pictures which followup earlier posts on this thread. The first is my snowmobile parked next to CB, the second is a picture of the North River which is icing up. Both of these are a follow on from earlier comments posted.

As for weather after two cold weeks it is warming up again and should hit +8c by weeks end. A very different winter for us in the Maritimes.

Michael

Attached Files:

14. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

15. tomauroland

tomauroland Member

16. Michael Zinck

Arbutus in PEI - The Cold...17 January

Group

Well winter has arrived late but in full fury. After a short 1 day snowstorm (15cm) temperatures have dropped to -19c with the wind chill to -29c. Tonight will be the worst as it begins to warm up tomorrow (to -7c) leading to 0c by Friday.

As noted by Ron and other, todays temperatures are well below the lower range for an Arbutus.

Can't say I was not warned, but I remain hopefull. Michael

17. Michael F

Nasty . . . hope it survives!

18. sweetlemon

sweetlemon Member

I think it has a chance of surviving -19C, especially with a little protection. -18C is the all-time low temperature for most of the colder spots on southeastern Vancouver Island (arbutus' main habitat in Canada), so theoretically they should survive that, even if damaged.

19. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Temps that low would kill most if not all seedlings unless buried in snow cover. Mature trees would suffer great hardship at those sub-zero temps as well.

Cheers, LPN.

20. Michael Zinck

Arbutus in PEI - 04 March 2007

Group,

Sorry for the delay, but there was not much to say. After 3 bone-chilling weeks of living in food locker conditions it has warmed up. I went to check on CB today and it is not looking good. The leaves are very dark, almost black, so I can assume they froze due to the very low temperatures and the length of the freezing period, about 3 weeks.

The top bud looks like it froze as well. At this time I can't tell the real condition of the stem and or roots and I won't be know until everything has thawed.

LPN noted in his earlier post that a mature tree would suffer great hardship, and this tree was a long way from mature, so it has taken quite the beating. I honestly don't think any of the leaves have survived.

I will post again once I know more and will add a picture which will tell the story.

Thanks, Michael

21. Michael Zinck

Re: Arbutus in PEI - 21 April 2007

Group,

Well as the ground finally thaws on PEI I must admit that winter got the best of CB. Given that, I want to thank you all for your support and comments during the past year. I will be ending this thread but wanted to post a final thank you.

I am now contributing to another thread as I search for an Arbutus sampling source so that I can try again. Also, my friend in Saint John reports his Arbutus have died of a fungal infection, so that is about it for Arbutus in the Maritimes at this time.

All the best with your Arbutus trees. Michael

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  22. WesternWilson

Poor CB!

How about growing another in a pot, and bringing it in to a cool spot for the winter dormant period?

23. Michael Zinck

WW

That is what I am thinking, so that is why I am looking for saplings. My seeds have not taken so I need very small saplings that can easily be expressed shipped east.

I will keep trying. Michael

24. WesternWilson

25. tomauroland

tomauroland Member

Re: Arbutus in PEI - 21 April 2007

I feel I should offer you my condolenses Michael....you did give it a good try, and I hope if you try again, you have more success...
    They Arbutus seem so plentiful out here on the West Coast, and yet I feel it is a crime
    the way they just cut them down indiscrimately to make way for more and more subdivisions...mine seems to shelter my whole house...and I hope I never lose it.

From Vancouver Island..Sherry