Pygmy Date Palm is not pushing new growth correctly

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by aherron, May 25, 2008.

1. aherron

aherron Member

Daphne, Alabama, Southeast U.S., Gulf Coast
    Hi Everyone,

Please forgive my explanation of this problem as I'm not anywhere as knowledgeable as most members of this forum so my description of the issue may seem simple.

I have a triple trunk Pygmy Date palm that has incomplete growth coming out of one of the trunks. The buds are pushing up but look like they are dead before they can emerge. When the fronds unfold, the leaves (?) on the lower part of the frond are not there, as if something has eaten them.

We had a bad winter down here (Alabama Gulf Coast) and the tree was damaged by a freeze but the first of the new growth pushed through with no visible problems. It's the current round that is pushing through now that seems to be affected badly.

I've enclosed a couple of pictures to show the damage. I appreciate any suggestions on how I can stop this as this used to be one fine looking tree and looks like it wants to be one again.

Thanks,

Al

Attached Files:

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Good and bad news ... good news is that it's growing, bad news is it's going to look a bit unsightly for a while. This could be the effects of your "bad winter" and the central growth point is the most vulnerable (tender). Keep them reasonably well watered and minimal fetilizer applications during the recovery phase. Winter damage is often slow to materialize since it can be down inside the crown. Some dry burlap pushed down into the crown during a cold snap will help to insulate from freezing in the future. Don't leave the burlap in place for longer than nessesary as it may promote fungus or mold.

Cheers, LPN (Barrie).

3. aherron

aherron Member

Daphne, Alabama, Southeast U.S., Gulf Coast
    Hi LPN (Barrie)!

Thanks so much for your input and speedy guidance. It gives me great comfort that I'm not dealing with a parasite or fungus problem. The palm looks like it's going to survive and we've already promised it that we'll be sure to pay better attention to protection next winter should we get any hint of a frost (we already have a frost blanket fashioned for it and a couple of "brooder" heat lamps to help keep the chill off).

Thanks again,

Al

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Al,
    Ya ... with a borderline hardy palm or even the odd temperature dip below expected, a bit of extra help is all that's needed for a brief time. Kinda like a kid that needs a bit of help with his homework to pass the next test.
    BTW, once all looks good as far as recovery, routine fertilizer can be applied.

Cheers, LPN (Barrie)

5. lchurch

lchurch Member

I am having the same exact symptoms and the photos would be the same. 3 trunk plant with only one affected. This is happening on two of my plants.

I took several fronds to Walter Anderson's ( a local greenhouse) here in Poway CA and then looked at them under a microscope and found that it was a fungus. They recommended a fungus killer and told me to drench the head as much as possible. I will probably have to do it many times.

You may want to take some sames and see if you have the same thing.