Planted the seed in its pod and it's growing!

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by digitaldazey, Sep 5, 2009.

1. digitaldazey

digitaldazey Member

So I cut open a mango ate every bite when I noticed that the husk which holds the seed was cracked open.

I wanted to see what would happen if I threw the whole thing in a pot with soil - so I did. Well, the darn thing started growing. That's when I started researching "How" to grow a mango tree. I know I started it bassackwards, but nonetheless now I need to know how to save it. If, in fact, it needs saving.

As I read articles it instructs to take the seed out of its covering. So what do I do? Should I try to cut the husk away?

Remember the husk was cracked - I planted it pointy side down with about 1/4 of the pod sticking out above the soil. We had a hot humid spell up here in New York for about a week and I'm guessing that's what the little "Mango Seed That Could" needed in order to sprout. Now I'm nervous that it might not be rooting properly and at some point the little darling will just keel over.

Any ideas for me on how to save it's life? Or should I just let it be and see what happens??

Can u tell I've grown attached already?

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Just carry on what your doing. Show us soon how its growing please.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

If it is outdoors, you'll need to put it in a pot and bring it inside before the weather turns cold. Mangoes are tropical and can't take frost. Keeping it healthy indoors won't be easy either, as they need warm humid air, like a Turkish bath. Air indoors in winter normally tends to be very dry.

4. digitaldazey

digitaldazey Member

Wow! Thanks for replying so fast. Here are a few photos.

Mango 013.jpg

Mango 020.jpg

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Doing fine there!

6. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Agree, its a very fine specimen