Rose of Sharon

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Omaghlass, May 27, 2006.

1. Omaghlass

Omaghlass Member

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help ??????
    we moved a 4' Rose of Sharon last Fall and so far we have no buds.... Our neighbours Rose of Sharon has started to get leaves but ours looks pretty bad i was wondering if it will come this year ... or if we will have to through it out. It's in the front lawn so it can't be left there all summer looking the way it is . We live it S.W. Ontario just south of London ...
    Thanks for our help
    Omaghlass

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Oma--these are slow to sprout in spring, and transplanting it may have set it back...but it is getting awfully late now.

Try scraping some of the bark off in different spots, looking for bright juicy green underneath. If dead, the colour will be brown or at least a dull green and dry.

3. Omaghlass

Omaghlass Member

Thanks for the reply ..... Here in S.W.Ontario it really isn't very late most people are just planting right now ..... your neighours Rose of Sharon is just staring to get leaves .... i tested a couple of the branches last week and they were still green inside ....so from that i thought there was still life .... i guess i'll have patience for a few more weeks to see if we will get leaves or not

4. Omaghlass

Omaghlass Member

Hi .. Guess what the rose of Sharon is alive and doing well, took along time but the leaves are staring to come out so i am pretty happy as i realllly liked it and didn't want to loose it .... i'm not sure if we will have flowers this year or not but at least i have leaves ....

5. marcieo

marcieo Member

I moved a Rose of Sharon this spring and it has a ton of flowers now- so hopefully yours will too!!!!

6. Omaghlass

Omaghlass Member

We got FLOWERS.... reallllly late but we have them ... i don't think all the buds will have time to get out before we get frost ......but aleast some came...... i'm sure happy that i didn't dig the Rose of Sharon up earlier when it was just brown with no buds while the neighours had leaves ... i'm looking forward to next year when things should be normal ...
    Thanks for your replies that give me hope ....
    Omaghlass