banananananaaaa

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by guiswim, Sep 3, 2006.

1. guiswim

guiswim Member

I'm not sure what kind of banana tree this is, but it was slightly wet with rain from the night before, so I took a picture of it...

Attached Files:

2. Takana_Hana

Takana_Hana Active Member 10 Years

its hard to tell just by the leaf, maybe if you could include the whole tree, or maybe a flower

3. guiswim

guiswim Member

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

It seems to have a red margin on the leaf. Maybe that will help narrow the search. Here's my banana grove - Musa basjoo that I just took a pic of.

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

5. guiswim

guiswim Member

thanks. I think it might be a Cuban Red banana, since "Grows to 8'. Sweet tasting, red skinned fruit. Dark red trunk and on the borders of the large green leaves is a very thin red line." But I probably still have to wait for it to grow a little. I'm just anxious to get some bananas out of it. :)
    But it could also be a Kru banana, because that one "Very broad leaves with a wide trunk and deep shades of red on the pseudostem." but I don't know just how broad "broad" is. Anf for the person on my 'banana help' post who said it looked a little ensete like, don't ensetes have redish leaves? Mine has very green leaves. Does this seem reasonable?