Mini Hens and Chicks?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Bluewing, May 15, 2009.

1. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

My sister gave me some of her hens and chicks lasts fall that are taking hold now.They stay relitively small compared to other H & C and they grow in a tight mound.
    If you look close at the bigger image, you can see what looks like white hair, similar looking to spider webs on top of the leaves.

I'm a little curious, is there such a thing as miniture sized hens and chicks?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yes there is a type that stays much smaller and they do have that bit of webbing on them, too. i had some myself.

i don't think they're hardy though, so i never planted them outside...and i think they're echeveria rather than sempervivum. semps will flower and continue to grow/thrive and eche's die after they flower.

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Actually the sempervivums ,hens and chicks, are quite hardy and die after flowering. The cobwebbed ones may suffer with too much winter rain. Yours look like a Sempervivum arachnoides variety. Some are native to mountainous regions in Europe, growing in exposed sunny and windy areas. Their size will be somewhat dependent on the soil or gravel fertility in which they are growing.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  4. snoqwing

snoqwing Member

This looks a lot like mine. It's called Sempervivum 'Cobweb' and it stays small. Can you see the tiny babies on the picture? It's supposed to have dark pink flowers in June/July but mine has not flowered yet. I think it has too much water and not enough sun!

Attached Files:

5. Bluewing

Hey thanks guys!

I looked up the name Sempervivum arachnoides which on one site was also referred to as 'The Cobweb Houseleak' Weird name!
    The last two names mentioned look almost alike, if not the same plant to me. Anyway, I believe they are, Sempervivum arachnoides after looking at pics on Google.
    They are very hardy and they did great through the cold winter. I'm hoping by the end of the summer, the mound will have tripled the size!

Thank you all for the information!

6. theredben

theredben Active Member

Just to clarify a few thing:

1. The small size is just because it is a young plant. Varieties such as "Jade Rose" will get leaves 5 times bigger by the time they are 1 year old.

2. Echeverias do not die after flowering. At least not all of them.

7. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

8. Bluewing

I mentioned that I was given these by my sister who bought her house a couple of yrs ago, and they do stay on the small side as the mound keeps getting bigger around. I'm not sure on the color of the flowers....

chimera,

Thank you for the links, lots of information! Yes, I also believe Sempervivum arachnoideum is correct. I don't know if this kind of succulent is common or not, but both my sister and I have never seen such small hens and chicks before, we really like the looks of them:)