What is this??!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by JamieMWoodward, Sep 8, 2010.

1. JamieMWoodward

JamieMWoodward Member

My roommate was given this plant as a gift but none of us know what it is or how to care for it, and now it's dying- help!

also should I pull off the dead/rotting "leaves (?)"

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2010
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's too wet. Pull it apart, shake the soil off and replant in fresh, well-drained mix. Does the container have drain holes?

3. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Looks to be a succulent, a plant that grows in gritty well draining soil, and likes plenty of sunlight. Some highly decorative varieties will not over winter outside, they are tender plants and would need to come inside. If you grow this plant inside away from the light and give it plenty of water, then the plant will not grow at all. Perhaps your worry is well founded. Associate these plants with very dry hot situations.

4. JamieMWoodward

JamieMWoodward Member

No it doesn't - It's glass. What is it and pull apart the roots? Should I change the container? How often should you water this, never?

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Put in fresh soil in a pot that drains. If roots appear rotted leave tops out in the air for awhile, to dry out, then re-plant.

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

It looks like graptopetalum in there and maybe a few other things--maybe it's all graptopetalums. Definitely repot into gritty soil that drains easily and in a container with holes in the bottom. If they are graptopetulum they will not survive cold temperatures, so a house plant in Vermont.