How to repot and separate Lithops

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by mechael, May 7, 2009.

1. mechael

mechael Member

Hi,

I've purchased a pot of 8 lithops in a ~4" pot. I've had them for about a year now. They've been healthy but recently one of them just died all of a sudden. It shrink and died in just a few days. I have no idea why.

I now wanted to separate them in separate pots, but since I don't have experience in Lithops or Cacti I don't really know how. I purchased a bag of Cactus soil and 3 pots, and wanted to separate them into those pots.

I dug up the lithops from the old pot and noticed that the roots are all interlocked together. I tried to pull them apart into two groups, and I already seem to have damaged a lot of the roots. Now I have them in a group of 3 and a group of 4. Can I break them apart even further? How much root do I have to leave so they won't die?

I have to choose between having them in a group but having less individual care or risk killing them and separate them apart. What can I do??

Thanks.

Mike

2. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

I don't have much experience with Lithops, but they typically lose most of their roots when the soil is removed as they are very weak. Often only the thicker part in the center + some bristles remain, but they will grow new roots, so it is ok. I would thus divide the clumps in pieces with this central taproot.

If they are different species/variants/forms I would definitely separate them, their "timetables" differ somewhat. And there is less risk for rot spreading through the soil.

3. mechael

mechael Member

One of the lithops are dying now.. it's drying up and shrinking already.. is there any way I can save it?

4. mandarin

No, the infection has probably already killed the roots and spread to the leaves. (Unless there are new leaves growing in the center, but I guess you would have seen that. They lose their old leaves every year.)

5. mechael

mechael Member

If there's infection, how do I stop it from spreading it to the other plants? There are two other ones in the same pot. One of them just had a pair of new leaves and the other one seems ok...

6. mandarin

Has only happened to me once, and both died ...
    I would separate the plants.

7. mechael

mechael Member

oh... is there any medication kind of drop I can use...? Also if I separate them again, I'm afraid I'll damage their root again and kill them... I just change pot for them last week..

8. mandarin

I have never heard of any medication that can stop bacteria when they have already entered the plant. If they were recently repotted they cannot have had time to grow new roots, so the risk for serious damage to the roots is small. I guess the soil is still dry? If so i still think separation is the best way. The alternative is to remove the sick plant, wait and see what happens.

9. mechael

mechael Member

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try separating them, but I'll face the original problem I faced when I first tried to separate them, is that their roots are all intertwined, pulling them apart will mean I had to damage some roots... the three grow side by side together, they're practically touching each other. and honestly it was impossible to separate their roots, do you think I really should go ahead and pull them apart?

10. mandarin

Maybe my opinion is slightly biased because I would separate them no matter what the risks. Personally I never grow different plants in the same pot because of the risk of spreading bactera, fungi and root mealy bugs to other plants.
    It also depends a bit on what Lithops species they are, some form large clumps with time and I don't think it is a good idea to keep such species close to each other.
    So this is a group from the original pot that you were unable to take apart? Then they must tightly packed. Are the heads different, or can it be a single stem with several leaf pairs? (If so it cannot be taken apart, at least not easily)
    If the sick leaves are just shriveling you could take a chance and leave it until it has dried up. These diseases do not automatically spread to the neighbours, but there is a risk for it.

11. mechael

mechael Member

The heads are different. I think they're not from a single stem, but just that there were all mixed and matched into one pot by the nursery. I didn't know much about lithops back then so I just left them all in a pot, but now I know. I think I'll take a chance and try to separate them. It's the second one dying, I don't want any more to die...
    Would you recommend buying the root stimulus hormone to help them recover their roots?

12. mandarin

I have little experience with rooting hormones, they are not readily available in Sweden. I cannot recall that I have seen anyone use hormones for Lithops, but I don't think it will hurt. They seem to increase root growth on cacti. A small pot and careful watering should be enough, though. Some types of rooting powders contain antifungal/-bacterial stuff, which can be useful on wounded roots.

13. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Well, it sounds to me like you aren't allowing the plants and roots to dry adequately before you re-water them. You need to repot them, in dry soil, and leave it dry for a week or two. It won't hurt them, and watering them before they have calloused over will cause rot.

(It's entirely possible that I missed something when I read this thread, as I'm very tired....so if that's the case, I apologize.)

14. Lithops

Lithops Member

I agree with Laticauda... sounds like it might be over-watering rather than infection. Maybe mix more grit and sand into your pot mix when you transplant them so it'll drain better.

You can make your own rooting hormone solution from Willow leaves and twigs -- take a generous handful of Willow, and soak it in a bucket of water for a few days. The Willow water makes a natural rooting hormone solution.

15. hallenicolee4

hallenicolee4 New Member

lithops are very sensitive plants. only water when the outer leaves are shrivelled and dry and new leaves are fully grown. you should only water every month or so during the spring and summer months (depending on soil absorbency and the look of your plant), and generally lithops do not need ANY watering during the winter months, depending on the climate of your area. try to avoid damage to the roots of these plants as they are not nearly as "forgiving" as others.