Scarlet lily beetle and Coffee grinds/mulch

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by vcallinan, Aug 11, 2007.

1. vcallinan

vcallinan Active Member

Zone 6b, East York, Ontario, south facing

Hi there, I read on the 'soil' forum that lilies really like coffee grinds. So, since spring I've been dumping my grinds on top of the mulch around all the lily areas. Nothing sophistocated, no special scratching in method, I just dump it in little mounds. The lilies have done so much better. Bigger flowers, more fragrant, taller. Perf!

Big Bonus - I also don't have nearly as many lily beetles as other folks in my area. Yes, there are some holes in the leaves, and I've picked off maybe 10 since the spring (probably not even that many), but it's hardly the scourge others are facing.

Have other lily growers who use coffee grinds also noticed the same thing? Is it just dumb luck and next year I'll get hammered? Just wondering, thanks in advance. ...vc

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

In our area, the population of Lily Beetles peaked when everyone grew lilies. Now that the lilies in the less attentive Gardeners gardens (most of the gardens) are dead, the beetle numbers have declined and are easier to manage. This may be the effect you are seeing.

3. diane wells

diane wells Member

Perhaps ive been fortunate, dont know, but this is the first year ive been attached by the dreaded red lily beetle. My husband thought I was an idiot when I took a bowl of soapy water and towel to the lily leaves. Ive still one or two beetle catalysts but i am slowing them down. I have been told sun flower oil works im going to give that a try tomorrow and see what happens then. My problem is I have them in a raised bed which has pebbles all over. I suppose Im going to have to remove them all around the lillies and then treat the ground in the Autumn. Think I have a long time problem here but lots of my friends have now dug up their lillies. I cant do that as I love them so much.

If any of you know a further preventative that I can try im willing to give it a go.
    This morning someone suggested garlic cloves with boiling water poured over them and left to cool seems to help. It also helps keep slugs and snails from hostas and mildew from roses. Im going to try it with tongue in cheek. Id rather put garlic in my food but hey if it helps the plants ill give it a go.

Regards Diane.

4. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

5. Gardenlade

Gardenlade New Member

I have , in the past, had trouble getting ahold of these beetles when they hid in the leaves. This year I got a pair of tweezers to grab a hold of the little devils and killed them off that way. Easier way of getting rid of them though I have noticed on one or two of my lilies they have managed to reproduce ...yuck