My Red grapefruit seed produced twins

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Brittany, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Brittany

Brittany Member

I hope you guys don't rip me apart for my ignorance.

I was eating a store purchased grapefruit when I thought it would be a nice idea to plant one of the seeds that was in the fruit. I took a seed, dried it up and then later on I took one of my Jiffy pots from the bag and planted the seed. I started watering the pot every day and approx 10 to 20 days later (I wasn't counting the germination date so I might not be accurate on the dates) I saw 2 sprouts coming up from the pot.

I was so happy that something came up, I wasn't expecting anything to show up.

What got me thinking was... how did the seed manage to produce 2 sprouts? Will both tree's survive once fully grown? How common are grapefruit seeds to produce twins?

Here's some picture of my twins :) Aren't they precious? I feel that I gave birth to these precious things :D

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Have a look at [thread=36262]this[/thread] related thread.

You may want to cut back on the watering as citrus roots are susceptible to root rot. Allow the medium to dry somewhat between waterings. Use a porous, quick-draining medium when you pot them up.

3. natureman

natureman Active Member

Hah! That's pretty cool, I've never seen that happen.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Getting more that one seedling tree from one seed is very common with citrus. In fact you can get up to 7 or 8 trees from one seed. This is because citrus seeds have the ability to produce multiple nucelar embryos. There are a LOT of threads on this site concerning the future of seedling grapefruit and what you can expect. Use the search function on this forum. - Millet