What's eating me?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by quickplants, Mar 23, 2008.

1. quickplants

quickplants Member

This is my umbrella tree. The top leaves seem to be thriving, but the lower half, some leaves have brown spots, others seem to be being eaten. Any help?

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

do you have good air circulation around the plant?

what about heater vents? although it needs the air around it to have movement, i wouldn't place it directly in front of a vent though (especially if you add humidity).

looks like some type of mold/fungus.

or...

it could just be normal growth/death. since these leaves are at the bottom and it's normal for it to lose the bottom leaves at some point that might be all that's happening.

3. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

Looks like sun scorch. Schefflera's don't like direct sunlight. Other leaf looks like the tip was just torn somehow, but any insects that would be chewing on the plant would be on the plant itself and would be noticeable.

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Ummm My 2 umbrellas trees are in full sun and they thrive !! But I agree with L.Plant, it does look like sun scorch to me too...

Ed

5. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Dear Quick: Check the weather for the week prior to your photo. That 'burn' on the leaf almost seems like a "cold-burn" from window contact on a cold day. The split I would shrug and say "eh!". My Scheffleras live outside forever (they are in the ground) and direct sun is never a problem.

6. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

Scheffleras grown as houseplants are generally produced under 50% shade so that they will be suitable as houseplants. They can tolerate sun, but have to be gradually acclimatized to it. Plants moved from semi-shaded spots into direct sun can easily become damaged: http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/Foliage/folnotes/scheffle.htm