New to Japanese Maples...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by TraderX, Jul 18, 2006.

1. TraderX

TraderX Member

Hello all.... this is my first post so please bear with my newbie questions. I just bought a new house and have always wanted some type of garden with Japanese Maples. I am planning on build a some what small pond and plant them around it as well on formations around the pond (paths and what not) I have so many questions and not really sure where to start. I have never grown any before so all info will be new to me... so let it flow.

I live near Seattle WA. (Zone 8... please correct me if I am wrong) and would like to know ones would be suitable to grow around here. I would like to have lots of variety (not really sure how many plants yet), but I would like to have one that may not be so common.

I would also like to know if any or all can be grown in pots as some I would like to have around my porch. From what I have seen so far, they don't get really tall, as I am hoping this is the case with most.

Also any one that lives around my area… if you could pass on any nursery’s that has a good selection would also be very helpful, as I would like to be able to see first hand what they will look like. As I have not yet priced any, but would like to know would it be best to start with smaller ones or go for ones in the larger pots (5 gallon?)

I guess I will just start with this and will add more as it pops up as the thread continues.

Coll

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi, most J. maples need light shade rather than full sun, so keep that in mind when choosing them. Do write to Mountain Maples (they're online) for a huge selection, and for advice on growing which where & how. Good luck.

3. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

The first thing that I would do would be to get a library card from www.kcls.org, if you do not already have one, and place holds on books about maples by the following authors, and the library will send them to Fall City probably by Saturday: Vertrees (1987) and (2001); Van Gelderen (1994) and (1999); Harris, James (2000); and Le Hardy de Beaulieu (2003). Just reading through Vertrees Japanese Maples (2003) you will learn so much about some of your questions and likely decide that you must have a copy of this book yourself, especially since it is not often available at the library without waiting awhile. Vertrees has notes in the back of the book about which cultivars of A. palmatum are suitable for pots. You are in Zone 8, but the particular microclimates there will be an issue for some plants, but not Japanese maples. You should be fine with whatever your choices are. Personally, I have never been to Wells Medina, which is far too expensive for us, but their website reads that their stock includes over 100 cultivars of Japanese Maples for the gardener or the collector, and I heard that someone who works there is quite knowledgeable about them. Since Bellevue is so close, it may be worth a stop to at least wander through their collection. Check out the Maple Photo Gallery here as well, and know that the term Japanese maple most often refers to Acer palmatum, but your choices are not limited to that species alone. Check out the species and cultivars of A. shirasawanum, A. japonicum, A. pseudosieboldianum, A. sieboldianum, A. circinatum, etc., and then check out species from other sections of Acer as well for contrast and accent. Congratulations on your new home. Looking at the plant communites on the property will give you an idea about the type of soil that you have, but a soil test is going to be important. Let us know when you have more questions.

4. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Look on this websites links page for maple nurseries.

5. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

I also live in the Seattle area. Sky nursery and swanson's usually have some maples. Woods Creek Nursery is fun to visit to see specimen trees.

My favorite place, though, is a road trip down to Pollock's in Battle Ground, and while you're there, visit Sam at Eaast Fork nursery nearby as well.

6. Bugthrower

Bugthrower Member

If you are in the Seattle area, Woods Creek Nursery in Monroe is well worth the drive. They have a great selection of older(bigger) maples and a decent selection of smaller cultivars as well. The trees haven't been force fed fertilizer and aren't leggy as some of the commercial nursery trees. Sky Nursery in Shoreline also has a good selection of healthy maples and last year they had a good batch of grafts early in the spring.

Keith

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The biggest selection in vicinity will be found at Wells-Medina nursery, just off 522.

http://wellsmedinanursery.com/

Biggest cultural issues are need for perfect drainage, susceptibility to branch dieback (see below) and spring frosts. If your site proves to be suitable and you have the budget you could accumulate a collection of hundreds of kinds if you liked - there are no particular ones that stand out as more or less suitable than others - it's not like with orchard fruit trees.

http://www.arthurleej.com/a-overplanted.html