Friend or foe?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by kgirten, Jan 31, 2011.

1. kgirten

kgirten Member

I need help identifiying this plant. There are many little rosettes for this variety that are starting to appear in a mostly native bed in my yard. The primary one in the attached picture is more mature and is about 1 foot tall. As you may notice, there is a red color in some of the stems and side-stems. The leaves are about 1/2 long and 1/4 inch wide.

Apologies for the blurriness..

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Might need a clearer image of the leaves to ID. I can't give a definitive answer from what's there, though I would lean toward something in the Amaranthaceae based on the red in the leaves (and thus, likely a weed).

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

5. kgirten

kgirten Member

Thank you all for your replies. I wish it were some kind of penstemon or guara, but I'm sure the leaves on those plants are longer than the specimen I was inquiring about, and are they are also not irregularly shaped.

I'm leaning towards Amaranthacae, especially considering that they seemed to take a hit last week during the cold spell. Until last week, I don't think many plants in my yard that are sensitive to cold weather (e.g., heartleaf hibiscus (hibiscus martianus)) had died back this winter.