Growing grapes

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Daniel Mosquin, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

I was directed here when I enquired at Minter Gardens about growing grapes. I'm trying to find out what vines grow well in a typical small Vancouver back yard, south-facing but surrounded by trees, and what varieties are suggested for making wine a few years down the road when the vines have matured.

I've been successful in growing kiwi, but these are relatively easy, and I don't know if there's a comparison. I know you don't have to prune kiwi vines except to keep them out of the neighbour's trees.

But re grapes, I don't want to invest years of time and end up with a dissappointing fruit. Also, I'm not yet familiar enough with vinifera which will grow here, other than a friend's concord, which are good for eating, making jelly and little else, though we have made wine from them.

So, having read all this, can you please point me in the right direction? Are there some experts in the group that would be able to give advice? I'd like to plant a few vines this spring.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

You might like to visit the Food garden here at UBCBG to see how kiwi can be grown to be highly productive in a small space. 4 female plants grow , two on either side of the slightly lass vigorous male. The plants are trained on a wire frame about 6ft high and are pruned by cutting back the leaders and then taking the lateral shoots back to 3cm spurs. Harvesting is very easy!

4. Tony Maniezzo

Tony Maniezzo Active Member

wine grapes

The following are wine grape varieties for coastal areas reccomended by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries.
    Auxerrois
    castel 19637
    kerner
    madeleine sylvaner
    madeleine angevine
    ortega
    siegerrebe
    schonberger
    These varieties can probably be ordered through your local nursery.
    As for the pruning of your vines, grapes produce fruit on the current seasons growth. After establishing a permanent framework all new growth can be cut back hard in the dormant season to 2 0r 3 buds. After fruit set and when the young fruit is about the size of a pea prune off extra growth two sets of leaves beyond the fruit cluster, this will consentrate energies to the fruit and not more vine and leaf growth.

5. Shirlely

Shirlely Member

I have had abundant results with a variety called Glenora, black seedless. I planted it about 5 years ago, and this year (the first year I have noticed so many grape clusters), I have made grape pie, upside-down grape cake, chicken with grape sauce and lots of jelly. I didn't know anything about this variety when I planted it (did it as a lark next to a clematis arbour ), and the profusion of production this year caught me by surprise, so I went to the Net to find recipes to use up the grapes. They are also OK as table grapes.