Newly planted Kousa Satomi Dogwood

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by Janet, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Janet

Janet Member

I need some help with a new Kousa Satomi Dogwood tree that I just planted. I bought it on 5/25/06 and it was planted on 5/26/06. The day I bought it I watered the burlap that the roots were wrapped in so it wouldn't dry out. I had a man plant it for me and he did remove all the twine and loosen the burlap around the top of the root ball when he planted it.
    I was told by the nursery I got it at that once it was planted to just water it once a week. I did that for the next week, but the flowers quickly died and have since fallen off and some of the leaves started to turn brown and die.
    I have since started to water daily hoping to revive it, but it doesn't seem to be helping.
    I am in Northern Virginia and the tree is in Full Sun in my front yard.
    My question is basically what can I do to try to ensure that it doesn't die and to get it to thrive as much as possible.
    Should I try any specific fertilizers? Should I be watering more/less?
    This is my first time ever planting a tree and I am very worried about this Dogwood!
    Thanks to you all for any help you can offer.

Attached Files:

2. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

In the south, dogwoods get transplant shock very easily, especially when planted that late. Best time to plant any tree is the fall/winter months. As for watering once a week, that depends on the amount of rainfall, how hot it is, if it looks dry, etc. The roots need to not get dried out at all when first planted. It also doesn't need to get overwatered either. I wouldn't put any fertilizer on it. It needs to focus on root growth right now. Keep it watered and see if it comes out. I wouldn't call it dead until it is. A nursery I use to work at guaranteed all of their trees for a year except dogwoods for this same reason. They are tricky to transplant.

here is a good website on watering, drought stress, and care for newly planted trees from Colorado State University.

http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/Trees/caring.htm

3. Janet

Janet Member

Thanks very much for your reply, Dixie! I'll definitely check out the site you sent in.

Also - do you know if I should trim off the parts that are already dead?

4. pmh1940

pmh1940 Member

This is after the fact, but a couple of years ago I bought a smaller balled and burlapped Dogwood, did all those things and planted it and it died. I then got another and this time, I loosened the dirt in the ball and sort of chipped it away, only to find out the soil in the inside was heavy clay. Then I planted it in my good lawn soil and it has been doing good ever since. But I have tried starting bareroot dogwoods and don't have much luck even if the roots are moist. Here I can never find dogwoods for sale in the fall. Some places only ship them in the spring.