Meyer lemon leaves look diseased.

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by repaulsf, Mar 1, 2009.

1. repaulsf

repaulsf Member

I have a relatively new meyer lemon tree that did not arrive in the best of shape. I transplanted it recently and noticed that several of the leaves look diseased. I've attached a picture. I've attached a picture of two of the leaves. Any ideas what the problem could be? The dark specks that look like they might be insects are just garden dirt, so ignore those. The white residue on the leaves concerns me. I am not sure what it is, but it was there when the trees arrived. What has me really worried is that the leaves seem to be dying from the tips and edges inward.

Attached Files:

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Cannot fully determine from just looking at two citrus leaves. However, it looks like damage from a high soluble salt built up in the root zone. Flush the potting soil with four times the container's volume with clean clear water, to flush out the soluble salt build up. The white spots are nothing to worry about. They are just water spots. If they bother you, you can whip them off with a damp cloth. Millet (1,419-)

3. repaulsf

repaulsf Member

Hmmm. The plants were recently transplanted into a CHC / choir mix that was bought from Crystal Company. Before transplanting, the CHC was thoroughly soaked overnight in a solution of epsom salts and water at a ratio of one teaspoon per gallon. Hard to believe that this is salt buildup. Perhaps the plant is just a little shocked from the transplant and the change of location. The white substance on the leaves does not readily wash off, but it can be scraped off with a fingernail. I guess I just won't worry about it for the time being, since it does not really bother me so long as it does not harm the plant.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

If your tree is planted in a CHC medium, than the problem is certainly not from soluble salts. In fact, I doubt that your tree will ever have a soluble salt problem. The leaf damage could be a result from transplanting, especially if the damage showed up after you transplanted the tree. Further, if the spots do not was off easily, than they are not water spots. Nurseries commonly spray trees with a transpiration coating, to reduce the water loss through the leaves during the selling process. Whatever, I would not worry much about them, they don't seem to be bothering the tree. Take care. Millet (1,419-)